Gratitude Not Anxiety

Interrupt Anxiety With Gratitude And Reap The Benefits Of It

Be ready to show appreciation.

304
Sara Ellen Poston

My life has been hectic and stressful x10 the past couple weeks. Classes started back on a Monday, and it was so weird getting used to having homework and readings and group meetings again. I was all out of whack, and then sorority recruitment started that Thursday. During this time of such newness and uncharted territory, my body was aching to get back to normalcy.

I was unusually anxious to be back in a place in my life where I was in control and in a routine. The anxieties I was feeling completely eclipsed all the exciting stuff happening in the midst of the craziness and I failed to realize that I had so much to be grateful for: I get to go to class and do homework, I get to be in a sorority and meet amazing girls, and I get to be a little stressed sometimes. Those crazy couple weeks of absolutely no routine or steadiness led me to think that I should kill my anxieties with an attitude of gratefulness. (I couldn't bring myself to say "attitude of gratitude".)

If y'all are anything like me, you need a routine or at least some sense of normalcy and continuation from day to day. However, it seems like every day brings its own set of unexpected obligations that demand our attention and stomp on that routine. My knee-jerk reaction is to throw in the towel on the day that's been ruined by something out of my control. I'm slowly learning to embrace those curveballs with gratitude.

Gratitude is defined as "readiness to show appreciation," so instead of being like me and being ready to give up, be ready to show appreciation. You're alive and kicking, and that's something to appreciate if you ask me!

This is no small feat if you are the kind of person who values routine in any way. Anxiety is quick to take the lead in your heart and your head, but it's much more beneficial to make gratitude your default. Every aspect of your life, from social to physical health, can benefit from choosing gratitude, and ultimately this simple switch can make you happier. By being more aware of all that you have to be grateful for in your life, you'll probably feel happier about the state of your life. Whereas anxieties of the small bumps in life drive you to fear and stress, gratitude opens the door to joy.

I would pick joy over fear every single time, but choosing gratitude in the moment of being faced with an upset isn't such a clear-cut choice. Uneasiness is set up to take center stage in those moments because why should I be grateful that a wrench got thrown in my plans? I haven't found the answer to that one yet, but I know that being grateful for the wrench in your plans will lead to joy and won't ruin the rest of your day. If for no other reason, choose to be grateful because it will pay off in the long run.

In all of our lives, there come those times when we stop and realize how insanely busy we've gotten and that normalcy has been tossed out the window. The anxieties will come flooding up when you realize you haven't cooked dinner in a few days or had time to see your friends, but interrupt them with gratitude. It may feel like grasping at thin air, but there's something in there to be grateful for. Find it and cling to it for the next time you're confronted with anxieties.

Eventually, it'll become habit to interrupt your anxiety with gratitude, and you'll be able to reap the benefits. Try it, trust me!