Chinese Zodiac: Animals And Their Traits

The Chinese Zodiac: Animals And Their Traits

Which animal are you?

59

Unlike the astrological zodiac, which is based on the month of birth, the Chinese zodiac assigns a representative animal to each year. The new year starts not on January 1, but on Chinese New Year which is based on the lunar cycles.

The myth behind the zodiac is that all animals were challenged to a race by the Emperor of the Heavens and only the first 12 to finish would have a year in their name. The rat came in first by tricking the ox to bring him over a river, but then the rat jumped ahead to win the race. The other 12 animals came in this order:

1. ​The Rat​ (1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008)

People born under this zodiac animal are clever and quick-witted like the rat in the myth. Rats are also easily adaptable and very curious about the world around them.

Their weakness is a narrow view of the world which can limit their leadership abilities.

2. The Ox (1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009)

The ox, being tricked by the rat, was the second to arrive at the finish line. People born in these years are known to be hard workers who are reliable and never ask for praise. They thoroughly plan before taking action and are quite patient.

An ox's weakness is in communication skills because they may believe that working with others is unnecessary. They can also be stubborn in their methods.

3. The Tiger (1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010)

The Year of the Tiger signifies people who are courageous, competitive, and alert. They are people who are charming and well-liked by their peers. Tigers are natural-born leaders but can have selfish tendencies.

The Tiger's weakness is that they can become irritable and overindulged by their success. They can also become very stubborn if they are not in charge.

4. The Rabbit (1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011)

People born under this zodiac animal tend to have conservative personalities. They are often kind, sensitive, and scholarly.

Some weaknesses of the rabbit are that they may be afraid to open up to others and they will often back away from conflict and don't take many risks.

5. The Dragon (1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012)

Interestingly enough, the dragon is the only imaginary animal in the Chinese zodiac. These people are known to be courageous and ready to face challenges head-on. They are highly enthusiastic and often risk-takers.

The dragon can also be seen as aggressive and have tempers that can easily flare. They also may be closed to constructive criticism from others.

6. The Snake (1965, 1977, 1989, 2001)

In Chinese culture, the snake is not the symbol of evil like it is in Western culture. Instead, people born under this animal are known to be intuitive and graceful. Snakes are also cautious and won't jump head-on into situations.

A weakness of the snakes is that they can be materialistic and cunning, sometimes scheming people to get what they want.

7. The Horse (1966, 1978, 1990, 2002)

People born in the Year of the Horse are energetic and active people. These people are known to love crowds and being the center of attention.

The horse can come off as self-centered because of their love of the spotlight. They can also be easily distracted in long-term goals, never quite finishing one task in pursuit of newer tasks.

8. The Goat/Sheep (1967, 1979, 1991, 2003)

The goat (or in some variations, the sheep) is the eighth animal in the cycle. These people are known to be shy, sympathetic, and gentle. They are often creative and have a strong sense of perseverance. They also like to be part of a crowd, but never the center of attention.

A weakness of the goat (or sheep) is that they enjoy spending money on fine items to appear fashionable and stylish. Because of their shy nature, goats also have a tendency to not speak up in arguments and debates which may not be in their best interest.

9. The Monkey (1968, 1980, 1992, 2004)

People born in these years are known to be witty and fiercely intelligent. They are also known to be lighthearted pranksters and crafty opportunists.

Since monkeys are so witty, they can often come off as arrogant and self-centered. These people also have a tendency to become easily jealous and quite competitive.

10. The Rooster (1969, 1981, 1993, 2005)

People born in these years are known to be talkative, honest, and popular. They are also very logical and straightforward when leading teams.

Roosters can come off as blunt or harsh because honesty is an important value to these people. Some people born in the Year of the Rooster can be boastful and vain and tend to brag about themselves a lot.

11. The Dog (1970, 1982, 1994, 2006)

The number one characteristic of dogs is their loyalty. People born in these years are known to be loyal to those close to them. They are also cautious and kind. Dogs are also reliable and keep a strong sense of morals.

Due to their loyalty, dogs can come off as quite nosy to some. Dogs can also be stubborn and temperamental at times, but this is often quickly resolved.

12. The Pig (1971, 1983, 1995, 2007)

The pig is a symbol of compassion, generosity, and diligence. These people are also known to be entertaining and devoted to their goals. They are always looking to help others and maintain peace in the world.

Some people may take advantage of those born in the Year of the Pig because of their natural generosity. By constantly answering the requests of others, these people may also be overwhelmed with tasks, but their diligent nature can make up for that.