Chicago's Congress Plaza Hotel Has A Dark History, You've Been Warned

*Grabs friend's hand only to find out it was the ghost's wandering hand*

1141
Seth Anderson on Flickr

Back in October of 2017, I discussed some haunted adventures to experience in Illinois. And one of the places I briefly talked about was the famous Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago. It is one of the most haunted places around and in Chicago.

The hotel was built in 1973 for the World's Fair to demonstrate how the city managed to bounce back and recover from the Great Fire of 1971. But the hotel ended up taking a turn for the worst when America's first serial killer, Dr. HH Holmes ended up using the hotel to meet ladies and offer them "jobs" in his pharmacy. Then killing them a few blocks away in his torture castle.

The hotel served as a home to good ole Al Capone who had his own suite for using on the 8th floor of the north tower. But enough of some of the sketchy people who worked there, let's get into the hauntings of Congress Plaza.

The 12th floor is said to be haunted by the ghost of Karel Langer. He was six years old when he came to America but was thrown out the window by his mother, along with his brother. The family of three came to Chicago and was waiting for their father/husband to arrive, but he never came. So the depressed mother threw her two sons out the window, along with herself.

But the body of one of the little boys never made it to the city morgue. People who've stayed on the 12th floor have encountered a boy playing tricks on them throughout their stay. Some of the rooms have also been sealed or locked shut due to much paranormal activity happening.

There have also been sightings of Peg Leg Johnny. Johnny was a hobo who was killed, like most guests who stayed at the hotel. Staff and guests say he turns appliances on and off and haunts the ballroom. And then there is the mystery hand. People have reported a ghostly hand reaching out to them in the Gold Room.

During construction, a worker was sealed behind the drywall and died. Could this be the famous worker's hand roaming around and touching people?

But the room with the most calls to security during overnight guests is room 441 in the south tower. Supposedly a murder happened in room 441. A woman found her husband cheating and killed his mistress. Guests have reported seeing a female shadow figure at the end of the bed and their personal belongings being moved throughout the night.

There have been countless murders and suicides that happened in the Congress Plaza. Ghost hunters, overnight guests, and staff have come in contact with many sightings of body apparatuses, strange noises, and overall bone-chilling experiences.

If you live in or around Illinois or even close to Chicago and are looking for a night out that includes some haunting experience, Chicago Plaza Hotel is the place to visit.