The Complete Bucket List For Summertime In Suburban Chicago

Biking, swimming, hiking and more should all be included in your summer to do list!

87
Amanda Brennan

The final countdown to the end of the school year has begun and the light is starting to shine at the end of the tunnel. Summer is just around the corner, and if you're just as eager as I am to jump out of the classroom and into a pool, these Chicagoland summer activities are for you!

Head to Morton Arboretum!

If it's a little too chilly for the pool, head over to the beautiful Morton Arboretum in Lisle. With miles of hiking, a children's garden, a troll hunt, and great photo spots, it's a great way to get outside and enjoy everything that nature has to offer!

Enjoy The Fabyan Windmill and Japanese Gardens.

In the Batavia and Geneva area, there are two great parks right across the Fox River from each other! My family has brought our bikes to Fabyan Windmill on the Batavia side, and biked across the bridge over to the Japanese Garden on the Geneva side! You could even bike north up the Fox River Trail to downtown St. Charles. Bring a picnic, bikes, maybe even some fishing gear, and you are guaranteed to have a great day by the Windmill on the river.

Have some fun in the sun at Raging Waves Waterpark.

Looking for a great way to cool down? Make sure to add Illinois' Largest Waterpark to your summer bucket list! Raging Waves is my favorite water park because of the big slides, wave pool, and lazy river. Some days, you'll be waiting in line for what seems like forever, but, if you go on a cold or cloudy day the lines are nonexsistent...meaning more slides and more fun for everyone!

Go to a Chicago Cubs game!

Baseball is back and I am too excited to watch my favorite team, the Chicago Cubs! There's nothing better than the Wrigleyville buzz on game day as crowds pour into historic Wrigley Field, ready to cheer for their beloved Cubbies!

Check out some of Chicagoland's coolest Zoos.

You can't go wrong with a day at the zoo! Whether you visit Brookfield Zoo or Lincoln Park Zoo, you are guaranteed to have a wild time seeing animals from around the world!

Head to Sci-Tech for a day full of fun!

SciTech

Rainy day? Find a local museum! Sci-Tech is a children's science museum in Downtown Aurora, so if you'll be nannying all summer like I will be, put this on the list of activities to do with the kiddos!

Go on a bike ride!

Hop on the Illinois Prairie Path or Lake Shore Drive to enjoy the scenery! The Illinois Prairie Path stretches from Maywood to the Fox River, so you can hop on in any town in between! Or, if you're in Downtown Chicago, rent a Divvy Bike and ride along the lakefront trail for beautiful views of Lake Michigan and the Skyline.

Venture off to Starved Rock State Park

Voted the "#1 Attraction in the State of Illinois" this is one location that you have to visit! Between the trails, waterfalls, historical activities, and even some children activities, Starved Rock is perfect for all ages!

Go Mini-Golfing!

If you don't feel like hopping into the pool, or maybe it's cool and cloudy, take up a game of golf...or mini golf...or disc golf! If you're in the suburbs of Chicago, you can find great deals and Groupons for mini golf at Wilderness Falls in Bolingbrook, Lost Mountain in Woodridge, or Coyote Crossing in West Chicago! Or, if you're looking for some disc golf, Knoch Knolls in Naperville has an 18 "hole" course.

Spend a day in Chicago!

After spending a summer in suburbia, you may want to spend a day in the bustling City of Chicago. You could go on an architecture tour down the Chicago River, visit the "Bean" at Millenium Park, go shopping on Michigan Ave, and ride the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier

I am so excited to head home for the summer and enjoy everything Chicagoland has to offer. Even with online summer classes, it is important to take some study breaks and get outside and explore everything around you!