5 Fun Activities That Won't Break The Bank This Summer

You don't need to empty your wallet to enjoy your favorite season.

90

Summer can easily be one of the best times of year. Classes are over, the weather is amazing and everything just feels better.

However, summer can also be pricey. So for those looking to save money or searching for cool ideas for how to spend your days, look no further.

Hiking with friends

Hiking is one of the cheapest and best ways to spend a summer day. Whether you go with friends, your significant other or solo, it can be the perfect way to spend a few hours and clear your mind.

Even if you live in a big city, there are still plenty of hiking trails and parks to explore! (For all the Torontonians reading, High Park is the perfect place to hike without having to venture out of the city.)

Check out The Hiking Project to find trails near you.

Potlucks with friends

What better way to spend a summer evening than participating in a potluck?

You can show off your cooking skills (or talent for picking out pre-prepared dishes) and enjoy some delicious food. So the next time you're stumped on what to do on a summer night, get together with your pals and enjoy some great food.

Looking for recipe inspiration?

Explore the city

If you live in or near a city, this next idea is perfect for you. Most of us have yet to explore every inch of the place we call home, and the summer is the best time to start our adventure. Whether it be trying a new coffee shop on the other side of town or riding public transportation to a new area, exploring and summer go hand in hand!

Grow your own produce

Summer is the season during which the best fruits, vegetables and flowers bloom. So what better way to spend your days than starting your very own garden?

Whether you live in a house with a backyard or a small apartment, gardening is possible anywhere. Small windows, herb-gardens and big yards can house some of the tastiest produce and prettiest flowers.

What should you grow? I'm glad you asked.

Have a throwback day

Who else is nostalgic for the days when coming home from school meant "Lizzie McGuire," cosmic brownies and flipping through the newest issues of "J-14" and "Tiger Beat"?

Luckily, all our childhood favorites are on Netflix or Youtube! (Yes, even "Degrassi" from the days when Drake was no more than Jimmy Brooks.)

Plus, now that we're all a little older, we don't have our parents there to stop us from buying all the snacks we desire. So sit back, turn on some throwback shows and enjoy the summer reminiscing.