The Best Charities To Donate To During The Holidays
Start writing a post
Politics and Activism

7 Charities That, Unlike The Salvation Army, Are Worth Your Money This Holiday Season

Since the holiday season is the time for giving, consider these charities to donate towards.

7 Charities That, Unlike The Salvation Army, Are Worth Your Money This Holiday Season

In my previous article, I wrote about the problems the Salvation Army has and why no one should donate to them this holiday season. There are many charities out there like Salvation Army that parade as a charity but in reality, what they stand for is some of the least charitable stances out there.

Since the holiday season is the time for giving, here are 7 charities to donate to this holiday season that will be worth your money.

1. Pencils of Promise

Pencils of Promise is a for-purpose organization that builds schools, trains teachers, and funds scholarships for low-income students. It's a different type of organization since it mixes a humanitarian purpose with a great business approach to make sure every dollar they get is spent in a way that will benefit their purpose. One-hundred percent of the money Pencils of Promise generates goes to the schools they build and the scholarships they offer, since they are funded by private donors, events, and companies. Plus, they do lots of work in local communities to come up with curriculum and programs for students.

2. The 777 Project

Since Pencils of Promise is a great organization to donate to, why not also check into one of their partnership projects? The 777 Project is a partnership between Pencils of Promise and Impossible Ventures to provide educational opportunities for low-income children for whom a basic education seems impossible. Joel Runyon, the founder, runs seven ultra marathon on seven continents in order to raise money and awareness to build seven schools with Pencils of Promise, hence the name, 777. This mission is funded through travel hacking and other initiatives, and every penny goes toward building the schools.

3. Charity: Water

Charity: Water is an organization whose mission is to provide clean drinking water to people in developing countries. It was started when a volunteer photographer for a Christian aid group that performed surgeries in developing countries and saw how much impact people like him could have on the less fortunate, which inspired him to found Charity: Water. The organization ensures that all the money will go straight to their projects, and to date, Charity: Water has funded over 13,000 water projects.

4. Medecins Sans Frontieres

Medecins Sans Frontieres, also known as Doctors Without Borders, is an international medical humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical aid to people in need due to natural disasters, armed conflict, and exclusion from healthcare. People of all races, religions, gender identities, abilities, and political beliefs get help from them since the organization focuses more on providing help that is needed. Most of their funding comes from private sources, and 80 percent of that money goes toward resources for humanitarian support (the other 20 percent goes into their management, administration, and fundraising activities).

5. All Hands Volunteers

All Hands Volunteers, also known as All Hands and Hearts is a U.S.-based organization that gives hands-on help to communities around the world. It aims to provide immediate and sustainable support to those in need and to be as effective as possible. They raise their money through special events, advertisements, grant proposals, direct mail, internet appeals, and many other approaches.

6. Rainforest Alliance

The Rainforest Alliance is a conservation organization that aims to protect the rainforest by making it financially appealing for businesses and communities to protect it. They certify businesses to help improve their standards so their practices are sustainable and rainforest-friendly. Once a business meets their standards, they can become certified by the organization. Some of the Rainforest Alliance's certified businesses include Scholastic, McDonald's, and Kraft. More than 90 percent of their funds go towards directly helping the rainforest and the other 10 percent goest towards fundraising efforts.

7. World Wildlife Fund

The World Wildlife Fund is an organization that aims to protect endangered species and their habitats. They are known all over the country and aim to have as big of an impact as humanly possible by encouraging others to make choices that are animal-friendly. They receive over half of their funding comes from donations, and over 80 percent of the organization's income goes towards program expenses. About 10 percent of the remaining money goes towards fundraising efforts.

Report this Content
the beatles
Wikipedia Commons

For as long as I can remember, I have been listening to The Beatles. Every year, my mom would appropriately blast “Birthday” on anyone’s birthday. I knew all of the words to “Back In The U.S.S.R” by the time I was 5 (Even though I had no idea what or where the U.S.S.R was). I grew up with John, Paul, George, and Ringo instead Justin, JC, Joey, Chris and Lance (I had to google N*SYNC to remember their names). The highlight of my short life was Paul McCartney in concert twice. I’m not someone to “fangirl” but those days I fangirled hard. The music of The Beatles has gotten me through everything. Their songs have brought me more joy, peace, and comfort. I can listen to them in any situation and find what I need. Here are the best lyrics from The Beatles for every and any occasion.

Keep Reading...Show less
Being Invisible The Best Super Power

The best superpower ever? Being invisible of course. Imagine just being able to go from seen to unseen on a dime. Who wouldn't want to have the opportunity to be invisible? Superman and Batman have nothing on being invisible with their superhero abilities. Here are some things that you could do while being invisible, because being invisible can benefit your social life too.

Keep Reading...Show less

19 Lessons I'll Never Forget from Growing Up In a Small Town

There have been many lessons learned.

houses under green sky
Photo by Alev Takil on Unsplash

Small towns certainly have their pros and cons. Many people who grow up in small towns find themselves counting the days until they get to escape their roots and plant new ones in bigger, "better" places. And that's fine. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought those same thoughts before too. We all have, but they say it's important to remember where you came from. When I think about where I come from, I can't help having an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for my roots. Being from a small town has taught me so many important lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Keep Reading...Show less
​a woman sitting at a table having a coffee

I can't say "thank you" enough to express how grateful I am for you coming into my life. You have made such a huge impact on my life. I would not be the person I am today without you and I know that you will keep inspiring me to become an even better version of myself.

Keep Reading...Show less
Student Life

Waitlisted for a College Class? Here's What to Do!

Dealing with the inevitable realities of college life.

college students waiting in a long line in the hallway

Course registration at college can be a big hassle and is almost never talked about. Classes you want to take fill up before you get a chance to register. You might change your mind about a class you want to take and must struggle to find another class to fit in the same time period. You also have to make sure no classes clash by time. Like I said, it's a big hassle.

This semester, I was waitlisted for two classes. Most people in this situation, especially first years, freak out because they don't know what to do. Here is what you should do when this happens.

Keep Reading...Show less

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Facebook Comments