Chapter Nine: Him

Chapter Nine: Him

Finally, he shows his face.

12
Chapter Nine: Him

Chapter One: Homo Fuge

Chapter Two: What Happened After Sunrise

Chapter Three: Arrangements

Chapter Four: Mother Returns

Chapter Five: The Next Day

Chapter Six: Hannah

Chapter Seven: A Subtle Yes

Chapter Eight: I Will

“I assume there are no rings because of the wedding’s secrecy?” Jacob interrupted gently as he unwound the necklace from around our hands and placed it in mine.

“You’re correct,” I said softly, draping it around my neck for the second time that day.

“Well then, my work is done.” He bowed slightly and took a step back. “You are welcome to stay as long as you like or have need.”

“You wouldn’t happen to have the time, would you?” Tobias asked.

“A few minutes past eight,” Jacob replied.

Tobias and I both inhaled sharply. We were expected for dinner at eight in the dining room.

“We’re not trying to be rude, Jacob, but we have to leave. Immediately.” Tobias took a moment to shake hands with his old comrade, then grasped my hand and pulled me out the door nearly before I could offer a hurried thanks and salutation.

“Come again, as often as you like!” He called after us as we rushed up the stairs.

We heard the door closing and soon we were in utter blackness. Taking the stairs two at a time, we raced upwards. I stumbled, and Tobias held up to keep me from falling. In the pause, we heard footsteps stutter to a halt behind us. He swore and I gasped, then we cracked into a sprint.

Whoever's voice was attached to those feet cackled, then spoke. “Fly, Princess, fly. But do not be a fool enough to think you can escape.”

Tobias and I paused twice without hearing so much as a breath behind us. The door was still open, and we flew through it. Once on the other side, he threw his weight into his shoulder and closed it in nearly one push. Hurriedly, he ran to the end of his bed and pushed it back against the wall where the tapestry now draped properly.

“Not that that will do much good – she can vanish and appear at will. But that will stop her from physically coming through the door at least!” Tobias looked at me and grinned. He shook his head and moved to hold me. “My wife. My wife.”

He began to brush my neck with his lips when I stopped him. “We ran up here because we’re late for dinner!”

“I don’t need food; I need you,” he mumbled against my collarbone.

“Well I need food.” With a playful glint in my eye, I took his head in my hands so that I could step away. “And I intend to eat, with or without you.”

“Fine, fine, fine,” he sighed with a smile.

We walked briskly down the corridor to the dining room. The doors opened before us, revealing the table at which we had sat with my father only a few days before. I sat and ate numbly, the sustenance passing stalely and quickly through my lips into my throat. At last the hurried meal was over.

“You’re troubled,” Tobias said gently.

I nodded and looked at my hands. “This was the last place I talked with my father.” I paused. “I can feel his loss in here.” I placed my right hand over my chest. “I can feel that he’s gone.”

Tobias took the hand over my chest and kissed it. “Let’s go and talk.”

We walked next to each other on the way to his chamber. The bustle that usually surrounded the royal chambers was dying down, like fire turning to embers. Only a few spoke to us when we passed. The atmosphere was comfortingly calm. I followed Tobias into the room, then shut and bolted the door behind us.

“Now,” Tobias patted the spot next to him on the bed. “Tell me your sorrow.”

“You make me sound like a fool,” I retorted, only half joking, and sat beside him.

“But you’d be my fool,” he responded playfully. He could sense I wasn’t in the mood for wit and changed his tone accordingly. “I took a vow today to comfort you. I’m a man of my word.”

Something in those syllables destroyed me. The wind and snow shrieked outside the windows. I wept long and hard against his chest, sometimes beating my pathetic fists against him. He held me and stroked my hair until the storm subsided. At last I took a shuddering breath and pulled out of his hold. He lightly brushed a lock of hair, that had been plastered across my cheek, behind my ear.

“Better?” He asked with a soft smile.

“Better,” I breathed a small laugh and ran my palms across my cheeks.

“Good, because there’s someone here to see us.” He nodded to something behind me.

My brow furrowed and I turned to see an enormous wolf sitting patiently about half way between the door and the bed. It blinked, then spoke.

“Don’t be afraid.”

I started visibly, then rubbed my eyes hard. The wolf still sat in the same spot.

“I’m real,” it said as it stood up and began walking toward us, “Come, touch my fur. Feel that there is muscle and body and soul underneath it.”

I dropped off the bed to my knees. Tobias did the same. My hand trembled as it reached to the body. It was indeed real. The fur was soft but tough, covering the hardened muscled of an incredibly heavy frame.

“What are you?” I asked breathlessly.

Nearly a growl rumbled from the wolf’s chest. “The right question would be ‘Who are you?’.”

“My apologies. I didn’t mean – ”

Nearly a laugh rippled from the wolf’s chest. “Your offense comes from ignorance, not malice. It is easily forgiven.”

“Well, thank you. But, if you please, who are you?” I wondered.

“I am Him.” The wolf turned to me, but I couldn’t look in his swimming green eyes for more than a moment. They held the ages in a glance.

“Him? You’re Him?” My voice cracked on the last word. Tobias chuckled at my reaction and I smacked his knee. “So ‘He’ is a wolf?”

“That is correct, Kynder,” He replied, and something in my soul centered when He said my name.

“Well, that’s – ” I paused, unsure of whether I would offend Him with a joke. I remembered His small laugh earlier and continued. “That’s different.”

His laugh, deep as the earth and as old as time, echoed in the room. “I suppose it is.”