Chapter One: Homo Fuge

Chapter One: Homo Fuge

Part one of many in a fictional adventure

36
Chapter One: Homo Fuge

How we got there, no one knew. At least, no one claimed to know. I had a running list of who I thought had the capability of such knowledge, but kept it to myself. I gave this list little thought nowadays, during the winter, when the majority of my thoughts were consumed by the incessant howling of the wind and continuous pelt of snow and ice against my window. I could not sleep, and wandered the palace hallways until I had memorized every passage, nearly stone for stone. I read most of the books and scrolls in the library, except the ones kept in my father’s private chamber. But mostly I visited Tobias.

Ah, good Tobias. He and my older brother Anan had been best friends growing up, and had fought together in my father’s army. Two years ago, Anan died saving Tobias. Though Tobias grew up in the palace, he now lived in the palace in Anan's place, as son of and heir to the king, my father.

Speaking of the palace, I suppose I should explain what it is. It is not a “palace” in the sense that only knights or nobility and their servants live and work there. I read that’s how palaces used to be. The palace is like a village, or at least what I imagine a village would be like, if one existed- it has its own population, its own economy, its own government, its own education system, etc. However, instead of all this being scattered in different buildings, it’s contained in one (huge) place, the palace. Oh, and my name’s Kynder. That might be important.

But, back to my wanderings. I visited Tobias, but my mind was restless. I walked toward his room. Before I could knock, he opened the door. He was shirtless, and as I had never seen him without all his palace garb on, I politely looked down.

“What?” he asked good-humoredly, “Is princess Kynder too well-bred to look at the bare chest of Tobias?”

I blushed, and he knew he had embarrassed me. I also wondered why he was talking so formally.

“No matter, come in and we’ll talk.” I walked slowly through the doorway. “What makes you wander the palace so late at night?” He grabbed a linen shirt off the back of a chair and shrugged into it.

He asked the same thing every time I came. I gave him the same answer every time, as well. “Nothing, really. I just couldn’t sleep.”

“Why don’t you take any of that sleeping tea the pharmacist left you?”

“Because I must be up for some reason.” I sat on the floor and leaned against his unkempt bed.

Tobias sat next to me. “Well, you should know that He wants you to get your sleep, so don’t resist sleeping if you’re tired.”

“Who is He, anyways?” I resorted to our usual discussion.

Tobias sat next to me, shaking his head, “Daughter of the king, one of our greatest scholars, and still she doesn’t know!”

“Well it’s not for lack of trying, that’s for sure. I’ve read almost everything in this cursed palace in an attempt to discover who He is.”

“No worries,” he patted my knee and I shifted from his touch. “When you’re ready, He’ll come. But only He knows when you’re ready.”

Disgruntled, I crossed and uncrossed my legs under the layers of my dress, and didn’t respond.

Tobias yawned. “How are you able to stay up so late every night, and rise so early each morning?”

“Sleep is like food. Though I want large portions, I surprise myself with how little I can survive off of.”

“That is both impressive and disturbing. You are eating, aren’t you?”

“Yes, Tobias, I am eating plenty.”

“Good. It wouldn’t do for the king’s daughter...” he saw my eyebrows rise in warning, "Nevermind."

“I have a name. I’d appreciate it if you used it every now and then.” I was only half joking.

“Oh really?” Tobias pursued. “The king’s daughter has a name? And what is the name of the king’s daughter?”

I raised my hands in an exasperated surrender. He caught my right hand as I lowered them. I froze, unsure of what to do.

“Tobias?”

He shook himself, then released my hand. I quickly hid it under my left hand. “Nothing, nothing Kynder.”

We sat in silence for a few minutes.

“What are you thinking about?” Tobias broke the easy quiet.

“Him.” I answered with a twinge of resentment.

“What about Him?”

“Why hasn’t He come to me yet? I’ve done the right things, I’ve said the right things. I don’t know where I went wrong. Anan would talk about Him all the time, like he knew Him.”

Tobias didn’t answer, and I saw that he was staring at my right hand.

“Alright, what’s the matter?”

“Look at your hand.”

Beginning at my wrist, in thin black cursive, were the words Homo Fuge. Man, fly.

“What the hell?” I breathed.

“What does it mean?” Tobias asked.

“It’s Latin. It means ‘Man, fly.’” I rose and walked towards the door, wondering where I had heard the phrase before. I smoothed my hair, which was pulled back and secured with seemingly a thousand pins.

“Where are you going? We need to find someone to ask about this.” Tobais blocked my path to the door.

“I’ve heard this phrase before. I’m going to figure out where.”

To Be Continued.