I Changed My Major To English And Now Everyone Asks Me If I Want To Be A Teacher

No, I don't want to be a teacher. Yes, I love teachers.

73

I came into Ole Miss majoring in journalism. To be quite honest, I can't say I was thrilled with that, but it seemed convenient. I was co-editor of my high school newspaper and enjoyed it a bit, so I thought, "I might as well major in something I have experience in." I also thought that since I was offered a scholarship, it must have just been a sign from above that I stick to journalism.

Wrong to both.

There was a part of me that was excited to major in journalism. I think deep down that part of me was excited for the opportunity to get out of it more than anything else.

I sat in class one day and realized I don't want to live my life on a constant search for the best story, the best job title, and the best publication just to wake up and do it again every single day.

Now to be fair, I completely and utterly respect the entire profession of journalism so much. It takes dedication, loyalty, and compassion to reach out and tell the stories of those who deserve it. However, it's not for me.

I want a career where I can connect with people, where I can use words, and where I can sit in the presence of day-to-day life without constantly worrying about what should I cover next.

I changed my major to English because I love literature, books, and writing. However, I really changed my major to English because I love communicating. I love reaching deep down to pierce souls with words. I love that moment when all of a sudden all of the symbolism and ideas running through my mind makes sense. When a book becomes more than a book, when it becomes a story of humanity and depravity, joy and tribulations, that is when words become more than letters. That's when words somehow pick up a piece of humanity that can simultaneously fill up and tear down a spirit.

That is why I changed my major. Because I want to be able to knock down the standards of perfection and discontentment and simply bask in the realization that sometimes the best thing we can do is to think, to write, to learn, and to share.

Yes, I do seek a stable job. Yes, I do search for success and a career. However, before all of that, I find an ecstatic soul that is bursting with communication, with little letters that mean so much more than what they appear in the dictionary.

So, yes, I changed my major to English. No, I'm not in it to teach. Of course, the possibility is always there. But I changed my major because sometimes there's something deep in a soul that needs to be unleashed. For me, it's words; it's personal.

It's about scary careers, unforeseen futures, and exuberant excitement about every single part of that.