Change Your Life This Week | The Odyssey Online

Change Your Life This Week

Small steps on the way to your best self.

3
Change Your Life This Week

So, it's summertime. I don't know about you, but for me, summer means a lot more time to focus on myself. During the school year, or while working, it can be really hard to focus on your own well-being and embarking on a journey to become your best self can seem super unrealistic. I mean, between all the responsibilities you have to juggle, who has the time to try and change some of their not so good habits?

The best thing about summer to me is the opportunity to make some changes in my life. Whether big or small, the altering of old habits and creation of new ones will set us up to succeed for the rest of the year. Check out these small ways to change your life this week, and see if they might work for you.

Try and do something small by yourself.

I don't know about you, but I am usually really bad about going just about anywhere by myself. I just finished my first year of college and I can honestly say that during that time, I didn't have one single meal by myself. Part of it is that I don't want people to assume that I have no friends, and it's also that I am extremely extroverted and like having someone around to talk with me at all times. However, having mental quiet can sometimes be really nice. Go see a movie by yourself, or maybe go out to dinner and sit at a table for one, if you're feeling a bit braver. The relationship you have with yourself is the most important one of all.

Get in the habit of trying your hand at cooking for yourself.

Let's be honest here, in this day and age, we have definitely become used to having food conveniently at our fingertips. Your drive to and from work is peppered with drive-thru's and the college dining hall is about a five minute walk from your dorm. But, since it's summer, this is the perfect time to try and be a little more self-sufficient with your meals. Try and cook one meal each day, just to prove to yourself that you can.

Let someone know that you are thankful for them and practice positivity.

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I get in the habit of constant work and stress, it can be really hard for me to stop and appreciate my life. Take the time this week to really evaluate everything good in your life, and value the good moments accordingly. Identify the key players in your life and let them know how much they mean to you! A little bit of kindness and recognition surely goes a long way.

Try to visualize your perfect day, then make it happen.

Think about what today will bring. Visualize making good choices, doing meaningful work, having positive interactions with friends, and feeling good about yourself. Intend to have a good day, and put those intentions into all that you do. When we set out to do our very best, we expect the day to be great and respond to situations accordingly.

Get outside a little bit every day.

I don't need to tell you that being in fresh air does wonders for both your body and your soul. Whenever you need a quick break from that summer job, or are just feeling sort of icky from watching too much Netflix, step outside for a while and try to concentrate on appreciating all that nature has to offer. The lack of distractions will restore your focus, and make you more appreciative for life's little joys.

Be thankful every day.

This is honestly something that has changed my life the most. Every night before I go to bed, I pull out a notebook and make a list of all the things that happened during the day that I am thankful for. It could be something as small as getting a compliment at my internship, or reading a particularly good chapter in a book, but these little positive moments start to add up. Make sure that you take stock of all the small, wonderful things that make life so good.

When we think of summertime and time off, it's easy to focus on de-cluttering and making our physical lives better. Maybe you want to clean out your closet, go through some of your dorm room accessories, or start a diet. However, it's super important that we make sure to do some mental and spiritual cleanup, also. This is the perfect week to really evaluate how you're living your life, and make small changes that can add up to real happiness.