Respecting Opinions In Today's Society
Politics

I'm Not Trying To Change Your Opinion, I Just Want You To See Where Mine Comes From

Set your ego aside before you reply to that comment.

97
https://unsplash.com/photos/DoA2duXyzRM
Clem Onojeghuo

Thanks to our best friend social media, it's now easier than ever to view everyone's opinions, whether it be about politics, the status of climate change or the new season of Riverdale.

In my opinion, no one is unbiased. Your language and how you choose to respond to others comes from some sort of belief system. I used to enjoy engaging in conversations about highly-opinionated subjects, but now, it's become more of a chore. But there's no need to attack one another for simply stating your opinion. People need to realize that I'm not forcing it upon you, I just want you to understand why I think the way I do.

I believe this is one of the biggest problems that plagues our society. Intellectual conversations aren't even a thing anymore. Everyone just assumes their way is the right way, and the moment you state your disagreeing side, you've started a verbal World War III.

Making an opinion-led comment on Facebook or Twitter is not an invitation to attack someone. If you want to respectfully discuss an opposing view, by all means, let's chat. But the moment you throw in slurs, personal jabs or other forms of disrespect, then I'm out of the conversation. And it's not that I have a problem with the disagreeing opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions (unlike others, I can respect that). I have a problem with the people who choose to shove their words down your throat and try to undermine you.

The worst part about this is that we've normalized this way that we talk to one another. Just take one look at our politicians Twitter feeds (yes, Mr. President, I'm referring to you). A perfect example of this is the (now mostly deleted) Twitter feud that's happening with Florida politicians and Donald Trump.

I understand that the debate on the vote counts is certainly divided, but is it really necessary for the leaders of our state and country to engage in childish attacks against one another? In all seriousness, it reminds me of petty high school drama. And it's not just one side or the other; it's both. Both sides are setting up a platform that continues an unnecessary attack against each other.

What's ironic to me is that this doesn't happen nearly as often when you're face-to-face with the same people. The conversations are light, and if they do delve deep, it's as if everyone's words are walking on eggshells.

The Internet has created a shield for people to hide behind, making them think they have the freedom to be as rude or as insensitive as they please. Because when you sit there, typing furiously away at your Facebook screen, you have the luxury of a backspace button. You can edit out words here and there, and you can take all the time you need to think of the perfect, offensive comeback.

It's come to a point where we don't recognize that we're arguing. As I said, it's become normalized. Sometimes I don't even catch myself until after I click send. It's a natural response to defend yourself. Except, we wouldn't have to do that if we just all respected one another's opinion.

And if you don't like someone else's opinion, guess what? You DON'T have to make a comment! You have far better things to be doing than trolling others on the Internet (at least, I hope you do).

If we have any hope of getting somewhere in regards to bringing change to our society, it starts with listening and respect. Take a second to put yourself in someone else's perspective before you speak. And when you do speak, leave your ego, your pride, your privilege and whatever else it is that negatively drives you, out of the conversation.