To The College Students Who Change Their Major More Than They Change Their Outfit, It’s OK

People assume that you should have everything figured out when you start college but it's completely normal to not know what major is right for you.

84
Photo by Mercedes Scales

Are you familiar with that feeling of indecisiveness on what you're going to wear before you go out somewhere? There is a panic that rushes over you because you just can't tell if you're making the right choice, and then you finally make a decision but begin to question what other people are going to think? This same type of indecisiveness and fear can happen while trying to find the major that's right for you.

I have changed majors like I change what jeans to put on.

Journalism, Spanish, English, Psychology, Interdisciplinary Studies, you name it, and I've probably changed my major to it.

For me, journalism was my gut feeling, the first pair of jeans you try on that is reasonably cute, fit perfectly, and I know that's probably what I should have gone with. Spanish and English were jeans I tried on but decided they weren't quite it. Interdisciplinary studies are the really cute jeans that I finally chose but now that I'm fully committed to wearing them, I'm nervous they are too tight.

When people choose what they are going to major in, they often choose something that they think is the "practical" route or the path that their parents want for them to take. This is the path that you could slip comfortably into like those jeans you wear a few times a week, you know it's a reliable choice but you're still yearning for something more exciting.

It's very hard to commit to something because we can't anticipate the outcome and we are all just trying to find something that represents us perfectly. Maybe majoring in Biology fits you like a pair of baggy mom jeans, you can pull it off but it's not your style. Maybe Psychology fits you like a glove as if everything seems to fit into place. It's okay to be conflicted. I repeat it's okay to be conflicted.

In the end, it doesn't matter whether you're stressing over what major to pick or what outfit to wear, being indecisive is normal and whatever is meant to be will work itself out.