Stop Expecting Celebrities' Skincare Products To Save Your Skin

We have all been there, breakouts, uneven skin tone, inflammation... all with no end in sight. Tried all the skincare products with every skincare buzzword you've seen on Twitter, looking up skincare routines on YouTube, etc. It feels impossible to get your skin to look like every IG model's and it's hard to see people with glowing skin every time you go on your phone.

So, when your favorite celebrity or influencer announces a skin care line, it feels like the saving grace you've been needing.

I'm here to break it to you that nine times out of 10, it's actually not.

Skincare has been a big focus within the beauty community and as the rest of us are trying to achieve the best skin of our lives, most of our favorite celebrities are attempting to profit off our insecurity. Skincare is not a one-size-fits-all method; everybody has different skin types and factors that contribute to how it looks. I've learned the hard way that just because one product works for your friend, does not mean it will work for you. Of course, there are the few ingredients that we all agree on staying away from (we're talking about you, fragrance) but for the most part, finding skincare products that truly work for you takes time and a lot of trial and error.

The problem with celebrities creating skincare lines is that they advertise it as the way to get the skin that they have when in reality, these promo videos are just them in natural looking makeup and good lighting.

The skin of your dream is often a result of good FaceTune and thousands of dollars towards skin treatments that the average person cannot afford. It's a harsh truth but a truth nonetheless. There are more affordable products that can help your skin and more accessible skincare tips from your favorite esthetician on Twitter.

If you do find yourself thinking that these celebrity products might be worth the money, take the time to research everything that is in them before purchasing. Compare it to brands you're more familiar with. Look to see if these ingredients are ones that will actually aid your skin rather than just being another incomprehensible word on a never-ending ingredient list. Your skin is your biggest organ and your most visible, so take the time to think about what you're really putting on it.