Can Celebrities Please Stop Shoving Their Political Beliefs Down Our Throats?

Whether they're left or right, celebrities really need to stop acting like they know better.

31
NME.com

I'm an avid defender of free speech. I don't care what you have to say, why you're saying it, whatever. I'll stick up for your right to say it, and if I don't agree with you, I'll call you out.

That's what I've found I'm constantly doing with Hollywood. Take Meryl Streep's Golden Globes speech, for example, Trump's reaction was completely and totally ridiculous, because, as I've said before, the man does not seem to be a fan of free speech, but that doesn't change the fact that her speech was condescending and tone-deaf.

Much like Joy Villa and her 'Make America Great Again' dress. Ms. Villa can wear whatever the hell she wants, and say whatever the hell she wants, but that doesn't change the fact that it seems like an obvious— and frankly, an obnoxious ploy for attention to wear such a dress to the Grammys.

An award show is an award show. Although I can see where one would argue that not mentioning the current political climate is a disservice, or that one does a disservice to actors and other entertainers by expecting them to provide a service and then shut up, Hollywood has a history of out of touch condescension that makes political statements at award shows particularly grating.

But it isn't even Ms. Streep and Ms. Villa who are the worst of it. It's the people themselves.

Conservatives, such as Tomi Lahren, were all too quick to jump on the "liberal snowflake" bandwagon after Streep ranted about Trump at the Golden Globes, but were quick to praise Villa. This, of course, is disgusting. Why should Meryl Streep be villainized but Joy Villa a hero? What's the difference, Ms. Lahren?

Then again, I suppose I shouldn't expect much from an alt right bottle blonde.

Liberals, of course, jumped on this hypocrisy. But, as they so often do, they neglected their own. Why is it okay for Meryl Streep, for David Harbour, for any other left-leaning celebrity, to state their political beliefs at an awards show, but not for Joy Villa? Isn't that what free and open discourse is all about?

You can't claim to be for free speech while silencing or belittling those who disagree with you.

But the cognitive dissonance between thought and action has become so ingrained in the left and right that they're slowly starting to look like the same person. It's quite funny, actually, as someone in the middle.

Just like it's funny to receive political lectures from privileged, wealthy people who want for nothing, who claim to sympathize with the struggles of minorities and the American working class yet still seem to consider themselves above them.

I think that's my real issue with celebrities throwing their political leanings in my face.