Why You Should Celebrate Grandparents Day

Your grandparents are such an abundant source of life and love.

270
Danielle Krol

National Grandparents Day is on September 11th this year. While not as widely celebrated as Mother's Day or Father's Day, I think Grandparents Day is equally important. If you are lucky enough to have awesome grandparents in your life, you should take this opportunity to honor them. Whether that means a full-out celebration or just a phone call, sharing your appreciation for them can mean more to them than you might think. Your grandparents are such an abundant source of life and love.

I didn't get to spend as much time around my own grandparents as I would have liked to. We lived in different states for most of my life and only saw each other once or twice a year, but that never diminished the love I felt from them. My grandparents did a lot for me and with me that continues to impact my life even though they are gone. They each made an effort to support me and let me know that they cared about how I was doing. They treated my adolescent drama and apathy with a grace I didn't deserve. They celebrated my accomplishments and showed me how my failures didn't have to define me. In my grandparents I found some of my biggest role models, cheerleaders and teachers.

Not only did they dedicate their time to me, but they also provided me with great examples of how to have a life well lived. In my grandparents I always found a willingness to give of themselves. I take daily inspiration from my Mammaw Pam's grit and determination, my Pap's studious devotion to his faith, and my Mammaw's unending love. Each of their lives were so different, and yet they have all blessed me with indispensable wisdom.

Our grandparents spent much of their lives creating the future that we get to live in. I'm sure that not everything turned out the way they expected it to, but every contribution they made led us to all of the opportunities that we have now. Older generations have so much offer us. They are able to look at our world from a different perspective and provide us with well-earned advice. They are a valuable resource that many people fail to recognize, and your grandparents are a great place to start appreciating their roles in our world.

So if you have wonderful grandparents or figures who act as grandparents in your life, you should try and spend some time with them this year on Grandparents Day. Take the opportunity to celebrate the relationship you have with them and show them that they are valued and loved.