Let's get one thing straight, right off the bat: I believe in the exceptionality of both the Catholic Church and TAMU. That said, based on my experiences at both places, there are definite similarities between what goes down in Saint Mary's and on Kyle Field.

The Church describes the Holy Mass as "the source and summit of the Christian life."

Texas A&M University (probably) describes the football game as "the source and summit of Aggie life."

Here are some things that Catholics and Aggies have in common.

1. A strong sense of community

2. An affinity for standing for a long time

Commit to it for four quarters or what's the point?

3. A distinct attitude of faith and hope

In spite of life's challenges or a losing score, a good Catholic and a good Ag both turn away from despair and seek comfort in loyalty.

4. The feeling that you are a part of something bigger

5. The crowd doing the same moves together

Kneeling is similar to squatting. Hump it, Ags! In the name of the Father...

If you are ever lost, once Mass/the game begins, all you need to do is imitate the those around you. When we stand, you stand. When we sit you sit. When we kneel, you kneel. When we shout about "farmers", well... you know what to do.

6. Devotion filling the cathedral/stadium

7. Participants sharing unique gestures

Throw a gig 'em! Do a sign of the cross!

8. There is always a willingness to step in for the sake of others

The 12th man and the 12 disciples!

9. A very brief sitting period

10. Moments of personalization

You finally get your chance to shine on the Jumbotron or while getting your sacraments at the front of the Church. Either way, #blessed.

11. Uttering prayers/yells in unison

"The Lord be with you"

"And with your spirit" (of Aggieland)

12. Reverence for tradition

There is truly a core of belief for both entities, and we must continue to hold the bar high like we have done for a long time.