5 'All-American' Carrie Underwood Songs That 'Blew Me Away'

Sometimes music can speak directly to the heart.

557
Instagram

It’s hard to describe how important or useful music is because its measured by so much more than that. Music can make you feel a whole range of emotions. It can be an escape or a catharsis. It can motivate, entertain, or even become calming. Sometimes it feels like it can speak directly to your heart.

One example of this, in my case, would be songs from none other than the American Idol winner, Carrie Underwood. Over time her songs have spoken to me. From the age of ten and yelling, “Jesus take the wheel!” at every opportunity to being a moody heart-sick teenager and thinking that I too would like to key a guys truck because, well, he dun’ messed up.

Now, at the age of 21, I would like to say that I have matured a little. Sure, I have experienced some of those life lessons that leave you in a puddle of tears, but that doesn’t mean you can’t move on and cope from those hefty life lessons and rise from the puddle. So, with this older perspective on life, I think it would be appropriate to share five songs by Carrie Underwood that have recently spoken to my heart.

1. See You Again

This song is probably one of my favorites. It touches on the separation of loved ones in the most positive way. Whether a loved one has passed away or if there is a temporary separation, take comfort in the fact that you will see them again. It’s really quite lovely and makes you think a little more about the word goodbye.

2. So Small

“Over thinking things” or “sweating the small stuff” is more eloquently and beautifully explained in this song. While it might be a different story from person to person, and we all have our trials in life, I have found myself worrying about things that, when I get some perspective, don't really matter.

It is true that sometimes, as my girl Carrie says, “That mountain you’ve been climbing, is just a grain of sand.” I listen to this song and I am reminded that if I surround myself with people who love me, whether it be family or friends, then I will be OK and can get through life one day at a time.

3. The Champion

This one is more inspirational than touching but I think it is worth mentioning. While this might have been made for football season, it still makes me feel like reaching some goals in life.

There are always going to be people who want to push their realities onto your dreams. This song makes me want to forget about all those people. I listen to this song and all of a sudden I feel like I can write the great American novel. Also, the Ludicrous part is super catchy.

4. Smoke Break

Life is hectic. If you have school, or a job, or job and school, you might feel like you are always trying to balance everything on your plate at once. When this happens there’s no shame in wanting to take a little smoke break.

5. Something In the Water

There have been a few times when I am going to church and going through the motions and singing the hallelujahs but I don’t really open up and listen. Then, as I am struggling with the confusion of life and all its twists and turns, it hits me. I just need to talk to the one who loves me more than anyone. I need to trust in Him and know that He has the answers and will rescue me when I am in need. I can’t do all of this on my own. And realizing that, somehow, makes me stronger.

There are so many artists and so many songs that make people think and move them to feel inspired. I think music could move mountains, as long as you find the right song.