The Carousel Never Stops Turning

The Carousel Never Stops Turning

Lessons provided by Grey's Anatomy characters

1224
The Carousel Never Stops Turning

If you have never seen Grey’s Anatomy, you should watch it. Meredith Grey begins as a surgical intern and her story unfolds as she struggles to make her way through the surgical program at Seattle Grace Hospital, and life in general. While the show is definitely inappropriate for children and some teens, it does have some valuable lessons to be learned by its viewers.

You Need to Find Your Person: As one of the characters describes it, if you were gonna murder somebody, you need that friend who would help you dispose of the body. You need a person to confide in. You need a friend that will help you through the tough times, dance it out, and give you advice whether you want to hear it or not.

Feel the Fear and Do it Anyways: Meredith says, “It’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose.”

We often forget that all emotions have their own purpose. What would happiness be without sadness? What would courage be without fear? The answer, nothing. There would be no joy if there were no sorrow, and courage simply cannot exist without fear. So next time you are afraid remember that you are only experiencing this fear so that you can conquer it with courage.

Question the Sane People: “Don’t wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don’t. In face of what we can lose in a day, in an instant, wonder what the hell it is that make us hold it together.”-Meredith Grey. We aren't meant to stay numb to the world around us. We aren't supposed to be calm all the time. We aren't supposed to be happy all the time. Happiness, sadness, anger, they are all emotions and we are meant to feel them all. Like we need fear to have courage we need despair to have strength. Question what allows you to hold it together in the face of insanity and recognize it. When you feel like you can't keep yourself grounded, remember that sometimes you have to lose it to find what you are looking for.

Screw the Odds: Meredith's half-sister, Lexie Grey, spews these words of wisdom for us, "Screw the odds! People die of the hiccups. My mother died of the hiccups. Survival rate for that is what... 100 percent? The odds are that she should be alive right now. The odds are... The odds are crap! So people should face it and they should fight." Fight. Always fight for what you want. Create new odds if the odds that are already there aren't what you want to hear. Eliminate defeat from your options and claim victories in knowing you did everything you possibly could to create the outcome you were aiming for. If you fall short of your goal realize you were still victorious in conquering the process. Always do your best and you can't be disappointed in yourself. Sometimes your best isn't good enough but it is all you have.

Mistake Allow Us to Grow: "It turns out, sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. Sometimes you have to make a big mistake to figure out how to make things right. Mistakes are painful, but they’re the only way to find out who you really are." Denny Duquette. It is so much harder to learn if you never fail. Is it really even possible to learn without mistakes? Mistakes are one of the components of life that can be unpleasant, but are often mistaken for failure. Mistakes allow us to grow, so next time you mess up try to not be too frustrated by it. Try to realize that your mistake is teaching you something and be sure to learn something from it!

Are you a Grey's fan too? Comment your favorite life lesson from the show below! Not a Grey's fan? Start watching!