7 Facets Of Carolina That Make Me Glad To Call UNC My Home

7 Facets Of Carolina's Priceless Gem That Make Me So Very Glad To Call UNC-Chapel Hill My Home

Even though UNC has definitely had some slip-ups.

53
Alicia Robbins

Although my first year at UNC has had moments wrought with pain and strife in both my personal life and at the university in general, there is a lot that I love about UNC. I can stand on the precipice of the end of this year and say that UNC is now my home.

1. The Quad

As happy as I am when I'm ON THE QUAD!

The quad!!! The quad is so pretty and I love to lay and do work and eat and just carry out every function on the quad when it is nice and sunny and beautiful. All of the gorgeous trees make me feel safe and surrounded by nature. Love it.

2. The Unique Skills that I Have Learned

Yeah but I can't do this so maybe I should just give up on everything else.

I really have learned some cool skills this year that I am proud to have learned. In my journalism class, I learned how to make and design a website, how to make a good graphic, and how to shoot and edit a video story. I have learned how to be a semi-decent amateur photographer through the Daily Tar Heel and how just a photo can tell a story. I feel that this is the beginning of a great college career spent crafting what I really love to do.

3. The Sunsets

Right but really it doesn't matter how beautiful UNC is because all I really want is to catch Pokemon.

I feel like UNC has exceptionally beautiful sunsets. Maybe that's just because I'm outside more and I notice the sunsets more frequently, or maybe UNC is just such a lovely place that it makes the sunsets even more gorgeous, or maybe UNC is just a pocket of beautiful sunsets. Who can really say? All I know is that these sunsets make me feel lucky to be living in such a beautiful place.

4. All of the Dogs

Dogs are too good for this world.

There are so many dogs on the quad and just generally on campus this time of year and those dogs make me love UNC. Nothing cheers me up like an innocent, pure pup pulling towards me longing for some petting.

5. Franklin Street

Conveyor belt sushi like at Kurama on Franklin!

Franklin Street is bomb. There are so many restaurants I have grown to love that are host to fond memories I have made with some of my favorite people, like going to Spicy 9 almost every week with my sister. I also love love love Rumors and The Varsity, which are representative of two of my favorite things: fashion and movies.

6.  Men's Basketball

Isn't Roy cute?

I came to UNC convinced that I would never care that much about basketball or any other sport. I was wrong. I got sucked into our amazing men's basketball team just like the rest of the student body. It is so awesome to go to a school with such a talented and well-known sports team. Screaming for Roy and the boys with my sister and other UNC students is something I will never forget and it really made me feel apart of a community in my first, scary year.

7. The Friends I Have Made and the People I Have Met

Me n' my bros.

Although I love UNC as a place, a lot of what has really made it home are the people I have met and the friends I have made. So many people here are so driven and talented and being around them on the daily is inspiring. I have made genuine connections here that I am excited to see grow in the coming years.

Go to hell Duke!