Care For The Homeless
Politics

Care For The Homeless

Stop stereotyping homeless men and women, just show them compassion.

96
Care For The Homeless
https://unsplash.com/photos/8UG90AYPDW4

Our society has a problem with worrying about ourselves and our own needs, that we forget the needs of others. Homelessness is a growing issue in America but some people just choose to ignore it. Yes, it's much easier to pass that homeless man or woman on the street, but wouldn't it be more rewarding to make their day little better? Stopping to give a few bucks could drastically brighten their day.

Don't Assume

Some homeless men and women are on the streets because they're alcoholics or drug addicts, but that's not always the case. Each year, there are 2.5 million homeless children in America; that's one kid every 30 children.

Child homelessness is escalating at a rapid pace, so what are you going to do about it ? As citizens of this great nation, it's our duty to protect the children, but we aren't doing enough to lend a helping hand in our communities.

So next time you question giving that dollar up because "they're just going to buy liquor", don't assume that they have no children to feed. And if you feel uncomfortable giving the money to them, there are organizations in your community and across the nation worth donating to.

How You Can Help

Volunteer, donate, deliver.

All across the state of Florida, there are food banks, ministries, and local organizations that you can volunteer for, or donate to. The Salvation Army, for example, provides hot meals and food boxes to the homeless and to families in need. You can donate to the Salvation Army, or choose to deliver the food. On Thanksgiving, the Salvation Army also feeds the Homeless in Orlando a proper Thanksgiving meal with help from compassionate volunteers from around the city.

Donating is greatly effective, but as someone who has fed the homeless and delivered meals to families in need, it is much more rewarding to see the humble reaction from those on the receiving end of your kindness.

I encourage everyone to be proactive in helping those in the homeless community. There are men, women, and children, suffering across America, don't let stereotypes stop you from giving.

Put others before yourself, because the feeling you get when you place kindness before pride is incomparable.