Card's Continue Road Supremacy

Card's Continue Road Supremacy

Road wins are key in the playoffs.

5
Card's Continue Road Supremacy
Ryan Meyer

The St. Louis Cardinals have historically been a great team at home. However,the 2016 team has has been shifted its identity into the road warriors. The Cardinals are a major league best 31-17 on the road, with a slouching 25-30 recond at home thus far. As it stands right now, the Cardinals sit at 56-47 and are 6.5 games back of the ever so talented Chicago Cubs. The ability to win on the road is very crucial come playoff time, but not being able to win at home could cost the Cards in the postseason. The Cardinals are certainly eyeing a wild card spot unless a collapse were to occur from the Cubs, and that may be helpful for the Cards.

Wild Card Game Scenarios: In the new (not so new anymore) wild card format the second wild card team travels to the first wild card team to play a one game play in game to take on the winner of the NL (barring that team being in the same division). Many would choose Adam Wainwright for the winner take all contest, and statistically he’s the best bet. This year, Wainwright is 9-5 with a 4.16 era and is coming off two starts in which he only allowed two runs combined and struck out 13. Waino is no stranger to pressure situations, as he closed out the 2006 world series for the Cards and has been thrown into big game situations routinely. Most famously, Wainwright struck out Carlos Beltran in the 2006 NLCS to send the Cardinals to the World Series. Wainwright would be a no brainer choice for this type of game, and to see anyone else take the ball would be surprising.

Looking forward to the end of the season, it looks as if the only real competitors for the wild card spots will be the Los Angeles Dodgers, Miami Marlins, New York Mets and Pittsburgh Pirates. The Cardinals have three series left against the teams listed, as they will meet with Pittsburgh twice, and the Mets once. A pivotal season sending series could have huge playoff implications when the Cardinals and Pirates meet in St. Louis to end the regular season. The ability to win against division opponents and the wild card competitors will be crucial if the Cardinals want to solidify their spot in the playoffs. The Cardinals have an impressive record of 7-3 in their last ten games and look to continue that hot streak moving into August. The Cardinals will open up a series on the road with the Cincinnati Reds then will return home for a six game home stand against the Reds and Atlanta Braves before hitting the road again to take on the Chicago Cubs, Houston Astros and Philadelphia Phillies.