Cardi B Will Never Be Comparable To Selena

Not even a trap Selena.

316
Cardi B's Instagram

Cardi B has become a fairly recognizable household name in the eyes of many millennials and hip-hop enthusiasts. The 25-year-old quickly rose to fame with the release of her single Bodak Yellow.

While many are mesmerized by her offset style and flashy demeanour, I have not been impressed, but in my eyes and opinion, teach each their own. I have never been a fan of Cardi B as she’s not my particular style and I have my own interests, so I have not paid much attention to her, until she teamed up with Migos and Nicki Minaj for the single Motorsport.

In the song, Quavo and Offset of Migos take the first two verses and Cardi comes in for the third with the verse as following:

“Ride the dick like a BMX

No nigga wanna be my ex (no)

I love, when he go on tour

‘Cause he cums more, when I see him less

I get upset off, I turn Offset on

I told him the other day

Man, we should sell that porn

Yeah, Cardi B, I’m back, bitches

I don’t wanna hear I’m actin’ different

Same lips that be talkin’ ‘bout me

Is the same lips that be ass kissin’

These hoes ain’t what they say they are

And their pussy stank, they’re catfishin’

Same hoes, they sendin’ shots

They reachin’ out like their back itchin’

Why would I hop in some beef (why?)

When I could just hop in a Porsche?

You heard she gon’ do what from who?

That’s not a reliable source, no

So tell me, have you seen her?

Let me wrap my weave up

I’m the trap Selena

Dame mas gasoline (skrrt)”

In the second to last line of Cardi B’s verse she calls herself the “Trap Selena.” To anyone who is a Selena fan, admirer or simply respects the late Tejano star this should be infuriating. This should strike your core, that someone who has risen to fame for being so trashy would compare herself to such a pure soul, who lost her life for trying to see the good in everyone.

After the debut of this song, many Selena fans were fuming over the comparison, and were relieved to hear Suzette Quintanilla, Selena’s older sister, commented on the lyrics. When I listened to the interview with Power 106 Los Angeles and re-read the interview multiple times to ensure I was truly reading it correctly. Suzette Quintanilla said she was a fan of this. Suzette said,

“I think its an honor because it just shows that Selena is a legend and she’s being recognized – not just in the Latino community or in Latin music, she’s worldwide.”

I cannot fathom how this would be acceptable in the eyes of her family, yet they continue to dismiss and blatantly disregard her husband Chris Perez, and going as far as leaving her legal last name off of her Hollywood Walk of Fame Star. If you’re unfamiliar with the situation, here’s my previous article over the situation.

Selena believed in the good in everyone. She was a beautiful soul who was ripped form the world all too soon at a mere 16 days before she turned 24-years-old. She believed in staying humble. At the time of her death in March of 1995, she had an estimated net worth of $25 million, yet you would never know in her presence.

She stayed true to her values, despite her success. Selena was a DARE spokesperson for local schools. She gave a free concert to students who improved their grades and also donated over $2,000 to their community programs.

Many children both past and present look up to Selena, parents want their children to look up to Selena because of her positive values and the fact that she was such a positive role model to anyone. I sincerely hope no parent wants their child looking up to Cardi B.

I cannot comprehend how this does not upset her family. I cannot comprehend how this does not outrage more of her fans. For someone who has based her entire career off of her ghetto and trashy attitude, rapping about riding men like a BMX bike, other female’s vagina smells, fucking men to get money; how could one even dare make the comparison?

She’s far more comparable to 2013 Miley Cyrus when she road a wrecking ball naked or 2007 Britney Spears, not someone like Selena Quintanila-Perez. Cardi once said "Who wouldn't want to be Selena?" and the statement is so true, but she will never be close.

So Cardi B, rap all you want, be as ghetto as you please, but never call yourself the Trap Selena ever again.