I Own An Old Car And I Love It

I Own An Old Car And I Love It

The little (car) engine that could.

25
I Own An Old Car And I Love It
PEXELS

I own a 16-year-old white Toyota Camry named Caroline and I love her with all I got. She has a dysfunctional door handle, rust stains, dents, she is dirty as a pig, and she's got 175,000 miles on it. She's a piece of work and she has put me through hell and back, but I can't complain. If you have a car over 10 years, you know what I am talking about. My friends with their new 2017 cars have nothing on Caroline. Through the thousands of miles, and numerous dollars I have spent, I know the adventures and memories will never end. If you don't know what I am talking about, let me explain:

1. It's a challenge you are willing to take on.

This thing you call your car is breaking down left and right, up and down, sideways, and diagonal. You think to yourself, "I am going to make this car last another 5 years!" You know that keeping your car going is a challenge, but you want to take it on. Never stop challenging yourself, your car can last!

2. It's a huge investment.

Yes, you might have invested 1000's of dollars trying to make your car better, but that's not the investment I am talking about. I am talking about the time investment. You have spent hundreds and thousands of hours in this car, you don't want to leave it. This car is your investment, and you are going to keep putting time and money into it until it dies.

3. It becomes a part of you.

This thing becomes your third arm, third leg, 11th finger, 2nd nose, a random extremity. Why not have a name for it. With the thousands of hours you spent, you might as well accept this car as a part of you. If your car is named Caroline, Heather, Jacob, Evan, it's not just a car, it's you.

4. It'll make your next car that much better.

Admit it, your standards are as low as it gets. You don't know what a good car is. You don't even know what a backup camera is. If your car somehow dies, any car would be a luxury compared to the one you have. You don't have to worry about other people judging your new car because anything is better than the shit you have. Your car sucks, but you love it.

5. You get to park near the entrance.

If you have a nice, brand new car, you will probably not park near the entrance at your local Walmart. You don't want a car door to ding your car, or someone to mess with it. But when you have that 10-year-old car, you don't worry about any of that. You will park your car near any car you want, and anywhere you want.

6. People may always pass you but you don't mind.

You try to floor your gas pedal but the acceleration isn't what it used to be. When literally all cars around you pass you, you eventually learn to ignore it. You used to change to the left lane, but now you are in the left lane going your sluggish self. Luckily, no one can do anything except honk and give you the bird.

7. You don't care about scratches, dents, rust, cracks, etc.

My car must have at least 20 physical implications. After the 7th one, I stopped worrying. You learn how to just worry about if your car is running and to keep it running. The physical state of your car becomes a second, third, fourth thought. Let the scratches come, it won't phase me.

8. The check engine light doesn't scare you.

I remember when my check engine light first turned on, I was scared. I went to my local mechanic and they said it'll cost me 80 bucks just to find out what was wrong with my car. I wasn't going to do that. I was a college student, I couldn't afford that. So since then, I have been driving with a check engine light on. I found a simple solution: don't worry about it... at all.

9. You don't worry about people breaking in.

People are usually more tempted to break into nicer cars, because newer cars = more money = better things inside the car. When you have an ancient car, people will think, old car = no money = nothing special inside.

10. It's your baby.

Congratulations, you're a parent! Your car is your baby. You feed it, walk it, and guide it to be the best it can be. That's what a human baby needs (for the most part), and that's what your car needs. Your car is your baby. Remember: Always have hope!

"The righteous keep moving forward, and those with clean hands become stronger and stronger."

- Job 17:9