Every Woman (And Man) Needs To See 'Captain Marvel,' ASAP

How I liked "Captain Marvel" and why you need to see it.

18

SPOILER WARNING: This article contains spoilers for "Captain Marvel"

"Captain Marvel" came out this past Friday, March 8, and I went to see it. I was blown away by the movie, and inspired by a beautiful, strong, female lead. The movie was everything that I expected and more.

I have recently gotten into the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) within the last year, so I was pretty happy to hear that Marvel would be releasing a female-lead movie in 2019. To be quite honest, I didn't know if I'd enjoy "Captain Marvel" as much as "Spider-Man" (Tom Holland, need I say more?) or any of the Avengers movies. While the trailers looked good, I didn't have as much of a connection to the character as I do with Peter Parker or Tony Stark. But that all changed once I got into the movie on opening night.

First off, female leads are more of what we need in Hollywood. A female lead can never go wrong; try and fight me. Second, the badass way that Carol Danvers handles everything in the movie is just inspiring. In the past, I never felt any connection to the military, but seeing Carol in the Air Force, has got me thinking that it might be cool to fly planes in the armed forces.

This movie made me laugh out loud numerous times, and is up there with "Thor: Ragnarok" in terms of comedic Marvel movies. Nick Fury, Carol Danvers and Talos (a Skrull that seems to be the antagonist for the first half of the movie) make quite the comedic trio. They need their own spin-off series in my opinion. Plus, who didn't love Goose? What a cute cat, and he scored a special place in my heart since he looked like my childhood cat.

I was very blindsided by the plot twist that the Skrull were seeking a home instead of invading the Kree (the race that Carol thinks she belongs to), the way that it had been set up for the audience to believe. I was also very touched at the Skrull storyline and how the Kree had been invading their planet and killing off the Skrull population. I couldn't help but make a connection between what's happening with the Palestinians and Israelites in the Middle East right now.

When I heard that "Captain Marvel" broke records at the box office, I wasn't surprised. It scored the biggest ever opening for a female lead film and sixth highest all time with $455M at the global box office. Female-led movies always do good and don't disappoint. These records show that a woman can do a man's job just as well or sometimes, even better.

Overall, "Captain Marvel" was an amazing movie and if given the option to see again, I would 100% would. If this movie came anytime during the franchise timeline, I think it would do equally well. Plus the end credit scene for "Endgame" was well done and left me wanting more. Who else is excited for that storyline to be continued?