To Those Who Can't Stop Comparing Themselves To Others

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves." (William Penn)

497

Trust me, I know how impossible it is to not look at someone else. To not compare what they have in contrast to you. To not put yourself down while raising others around you.

Nevertheless, jealousy is a horrible emotion that only creates negativity around you. This negative energy pushes others away as you complain and complain about what you don't have and what everyone else does possess. Nonetheless, don't fret; everyone has felt jealous at least one point in their lives since jealousy is an innate passion we, as human beings, can't control.

"Jealousy... is a mental cancer." - B.C. Forbes

You don't have to have an enemy to be jealous; instead, she could be your best friend with what seems to have a perfect life or the perfect hair or the perfect family. However, no one is perfect, and, come on, deep down you know this. Envy is an emotion that causes such suffering as it "take(s) on a wicked presence in our lives."

One can become so overwhelmed by the jealousy that she can think of nothing else — this is no way to live. We all want to be happy, smiling, joyful individuals who can confidently love themselves.

Although jealousy is a well-known, sickening emotion, it is very difficult (and almost impossible) to avoid, especially in such a competitive atmosphere such as college. We all have certain things that we would like to change about ourselves. Even the most confident-looking, gorgeous, intelligent woman can name a few characteristics that she would rather alter than not.

As the inherently judgmental girls we are (although I'd rather we wouldn't be,) we nitpick a billion things about ourselves. However, we must realize that it is only us who notice these minuscule things. No one will notice that zit. No one will notice that one eye is smaller than the other. No one will notice the cellulite.

We are all so concerned about ourselves, but in the end, no one cares!