Can't Imagine A World Without My Older Sister

She's my sister and I can't picture life without her.

294
Morgan Shepler

Growing up, my older sister and I did not get along well. The age gap was too much and I became the younger sibling from hell. I can’t blame her too much though. I was quite annoying. Stealing things from her room turned from a fun game, to a tournament right out of The Hunger Games. Never really knew why I stole her socks up until recently. I realized that I wanted her attention all the time. That I looked up to her, I still do look up to her for wisdom.

My sister was going through her teenage years around the time I was six years old. That meant that she would either be in her room, out with her friends, or on the computer trying to get somewhere on myspace. Kinda sounds like me now. I had no real bonding time with her. At the time though, I just wanted her to give me attention because I was (still am) stubborn like that. Stealing things from her room got me the attention I wanted.

As the years went by, we still didn’t get along completely. We fought constantly. Loved each other from separate sides of the room and at family occasions. There were moments that we loved each other unconditionally, like when she went through a tough breakup. I would be the one to hug her tight and tell her it will be okay. The next day, we would be at each other's throats once again.

Our relationship changed quite a bit when the new year of 2014 came around. She made it her New Year's Resolution to be nicer to me. She did just that. We started going out to dinner together, had movie dates, we became closer as sisters. I really took from that.

I watched my sister grow as a person. She was the guinea pig and I learned from her mistakes and achievements. I watched her go through tough times with boyfriends, adulting, and difficult life tasks. I watched her marry her best friend, my new brother. I will be eager to watch her grow to be a wonderful mother and be the happiest woman on the planet

I can’t imagine a life without my sister. She has been there when no one else has. She’s comforted me when I cried over seemingly stupid situations. Even when we ‘hated’ each other, she stuck up for me when bullies go into my head. She showed up to my concerts when she had the chance, even if she really didn’t want to. She’s one of my best friends. I can always count on her being there for me. She can do the same. I’d stop what I’m doing to help her. Thank you for being my role model and helping me get through the awkward years. I love you.

From Your Site Articles