Candy Wrapper

Candy Wrapper

How one candy wrapper changed my life.

18
Candy Wrapper
Asia Folsch

It's crazy how the smallest of things in our lives can make the largest impacts. Something that we disregard, a thing we look at once as we tear into the sweet goodness that is the candy. It's also amazing how things seem to happen exactly when we need them to. Everything happens for a reason. This is the short story of how a candy wrapper changed my life.

I was in my house, alone, doing some cleaning. It was mid-afternoon in the middle of the week. Nothing special was going on in my life at this time. It was just about a month before I was to start my Senior year of high school. I was feeling a little confused about something, and for the life of me I cannot remember what that specific detail was. All I remember is that I was confused on something.

Anyway, I took a break from cleaning and went to our candy dish that sat on the kitchen counter. There were Dove chocolates in it, the candies that had those little inspirational message in the inside of the wrapper. I ate one piece, didn't even look at the wrapper, and then a second piece, and likewise with the first, just crumpled up the wrapper. Then I went for my third piece, and something was different. I was more careful when unwrapping this third piece for some strange reason.

I popped the piece of candy in my mouth and half crumpled up the fragile tin wrapping. But before I crushed it into an unfold-able little ball, I stopped chewing, and then slowly crumpled it. As if anticipating Wonka's Golden Ticket, I slowly turned it over. What was printed on the other side spoke volumes to me. Three small words looked back up at me, and for some reason, everything changed.

It's your call. That's what was on the back of that wrinkled candy wrapper. It's your call. And those words resonated within me. I was no longer confused about what was bothering me. So many things became clear to me after that day. And since that day, I have been making the call. I strive every day to make my own calls. So, I challenge each and every one of you, go out and make the call. It's your call.