Cancel the Weekend?

It's Time To Cancel The Weeknd

Singer under heavy backlash for new music.

180
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrvQs7qDv_Y/

Don't do any further harm, fam.

Music is something that joins everyone as a community. Lyrics are something that is analyzed by listeners and critics alike. They can be a commentary on lives and situations that we can relate to, stir emotion, and lift spirits.

However, there is a certain responsibility that comes with being a lyricist. While there aren't necessarily too many rules, there are some common sense things that must be applied.

The artist The Weeknd, while on the subject of rules, has caused quite a bit of controversy with his new song, Lost in the Fire.

Here's just the small tidbit that many are finding problems with:

"I'm tired of being home alone (Home alone)

I used to have a girl a day (Girl a day)

But I want you to stay (I want you to stay, hey)

You said you might be into girls (Into girls)

Said you're going through a phase (Through a phase)

Keeping your heart safe (Keepin' your heart safe, oh)

Well, baby, you can bring a friend (Bring a friend)

She can ride on top your face (Top your face)

While I fuck you straight (While I fuck you straight, yeah)."

Hopefully, you can see why people are up in arms over his lyrics.

Someone's sexuality is not something that another should disrespect, ignore, or insult. It isn't something that people can simply flip on and off like a switch.

This whole song is completely doing all three of these things, as the singer is trying to force themselves on a woman who seemingly doesn't like men. It also plays into the stereotype that bisexual people are seemingly okay with sleeping with multiple people when they aren't, as well as playing into the heteronormative agenda and erasure of every other sexuality. The lyrics are sexist and even to an extent homophobic, as well as supporting the concept of "corrective rape", which is something that is used in other cultures as a harmful attempt to forcibly change one's sexuality. While the singer is known to be somewhat problematic as it is, this is a whole new level or ridiculousness and blatant sexism.

People in the LGBTQ community face enough pressure from society as it is. From a Vice President that doesn't accept the community to already placed stereotypes to representation, it's a handful of unwanted stressors that they face every day. Things like this shouldn't be allowed to happen. While everyone is entitled to think and feel as they wish, it isn't your job to judge anyone else.

Lesbian women are valid.

Bisexual women do not exist for the crude fantasies of others.

Embracing yourself for who you are is hard enough, they don't need your close-minded agenda to further make their lives harder.

While he is under fire already, there is more we can do.

If you chose, please don't download/stream/play his music, watch films his music is involved him, and keep letting him know in a respectful manner that this song is not appreciated and very harmful.