Why I Don't Understand Cancel Culture On Social Media

We're evolving into a culture that cares about the numbers of followers, posts, and subscriptions too much

25

Recently I've seen a bunch of controversies on the internet and I don't even know where to begin. So I guess we can talk about Shane Dawson and the Jeffree Star drama. Like I've always watched both of them for years. I watched Shane from way back when he first started vlogging and I knew Jeffree from his music. I always thought Shane was funny, but years later I realized how insensitive some of the vlogs were. To me, it's obvious that Shane has had to deal with a lot of issues in his life but I'm not saying that it makes it okay for him to be insensitive or a racist. But I also don't think it's okay to just completely cancel him out because then does he really change?

We all know he's done apology videos before, as have other YouTubers. No one is perfect and the drama will always exist. But just because YouTube demonetized Shane that it makes what everything happened better? As a sort of closure? I don't think so. I mean he said that from his last couple of series, even before the one with Jeffree Star, that he hasn't enjoyed making YouTube videos and he needed a break. And he took several breaks which was fine and everyone deserves a break from the internet so I don't blame him there.

But it seems like every couple of years that someone digs up new tea on Shane Dawson (or any other Youtuber) to try to cancel them for good. And every time this happens he always makes an apology video saying that he's changed but also that he's kind of blaming his childhood for his current problems which obviously doesn't make it okay at all. But it is true that young kids who went through trauma recreate what they know and they do it sometimes unintentionally. However, one thing I think that would really help him to prove to everyone that he has changed a lot is to donate some money to notable charities. He's super rich now since his collab with Jeffree was released. I'm sure he's made enough money for the rest of his life that he could retire early and be fine. Plus Jeffree was very open to saying that Youtube was not his main income and he invests in marijuana and other properties.

But this article isn't only about Shane Dawson or Jeffree Star but like every "influencer" or celebrity in general. Cancel culture is so mean. We are all humans and have done bad things so we should just cancel ourselves. To judge someone on one bad mistake and to ruin someone's whole career or reputation is literally insane. We live in a time where we are all glued to our phones and our technology that we always want things to be instant. Like I ordered something on Amazon, I want it now. Or I just posted a pic on Instagram and it needs to have at least 300 likes. We're evolving into a culture that really cares about the numbers of followers, posts, subscriptions, etc. Why is it do you think that society is becoming this way? What are your thoughts on it? If this is the way of the future I'm terrified. This world needs more kindness, so please go spread love and not hate.