I Can Sort Out Ideas Better On Paper Than In My Own Head

Why I write

3
Unsplash

My sophomore year of high school I was given a small notebook by a friend. As first I didn't think much of it; I had plenty of them already. I had never been one to keep a journal, although I had kind of always wanted to. They were mostly kept around for scratch paper and lists and the like. My new notebook was simply added to the pile and forgotten. That is until one night when I just couldn't calm my mind. I had so many ideas and thoughts running through my head I just couldn't focus. No one else in the house was awake, and I knew I needed to let these ideas out somehow. I grabbed the first thing I found, my little notebook, and began to write.

Since that night, my notebook has found its home beside my bed. Whenever my thoughts become too much, it's usually writing that helps me relax. I can sort out my feelings better on paper than in my own head. Writing has become a way to express myself.

It has taken many years, but I can finally see the power in writing. A pen can be a very persuasive weapon. When I heard that my campus was starting an Odyssey chapter I have to admit I was hesitant. I wasn't sure if I was truly a good enough writer to come up with weekly articles people would want to read. Only one way to find out! I knew exactly what to write about for my first week.

It came to me so easily, like writing in my notebook. Even better was the response it got. That's the power of the pen. Writing gives me an outlet to ease my mind. It allows me to share my ideas. I'm so to glad I have discovered this love of writing! I hope others can find as much joy in it as I do.