5 Reasons Why Camping Is The Best In College

A few weekends ago I went camping with my girlfriend on Mount Lemmon in Tucson. We had an amazing time being outdoors, and I rediscovered why I love camping so much. If camping is accessible to you, then I hope this article sells you on the idea to go!

4
Photo by Lara Turner
  1. It can be a time to recharge and let go.

Camping is a time to separate yourself from the business of everyday life and reflect on yourself and how you're doing in that moment. Being surrounded by nature can be really peaceful. There's something special about being in a beautiful place and simply taking time to appreciate it all. Camp sites are often in areas that have spotty to little service, which can give you time to truly unplug from your phone. Being off my phone most of the day (aside from taking pictures) was amazing and really allowed me to pay attention to my environment.

2. Renting camping supplies is easier than you think.

At my school, we have an outdoor recreation center that has all kinds of equipment, ranging from canoes to coolers to sleeping bags. We were able to rent a tent there for very cheap, which helped make our trip so much easier. Do some research on your own campus to see if you have similar services at your recreation center. Also check places like REI that have garage sales during the year where they sell used equipment at discounted prices.

3. It'll bring you closer to the people you go with.

I cannot emphasis this point enough. Being in a quiet spot in nature with people gives you the time to connect that you might not have in day to day life. This again ties into unplugging and giving your full attention to each other. Over the course of just one weekend camping, my girlfriend and I grew so much closer because we spent so much time talking with one another. No matter the activity, whether it was gathering wood for a fire or taking walks around the camp site, we talked and talked. There's nothing better than talking with someone who's special to you all day while away from distractions that normally come up in life.

4. Pinterest has so many camping suggestions.

If you need inspiration for anything, it's bound to be on Pinterest, so when it comes to camping it's definitely full of ideas. Before we went, we looked on Pinterest for recipe ideas, tent decor, and overall "camping hacks", and were not disappointed with the ideas we found. I now have a full board dedicated to recipes I want to try next time I go! If you're stuck on ideas, Pinterest is the way to go.

5. It's a great way to explore your state.

Camping is an amazing way to not only to explore the outdoors, but to explore your state. Whether you've lived there your whole life or just moved there for college, camping is a way to get a unique look at the beauty your state has to offer. Before moving here, I had no idea Arizona had mountains and forests. I've had so much fun so far in my time living here exploring the different parts of this state, and camping definitely helped with that.

Related Articles Around the Web