CALM by 5 Seconds of Summer: A Fan's Honest Review

These boys are my babies. We grew up together and now I'll reveal why their new album isn't my favorite.

211

First off, I want to say that these boys have worked so hard to get where they are today and that I'm so incredibly lucky and proud that I've been watching them do it for almost seven years now. Their fourth album, Calm, is an absolute masterpiece. It's worth a listen from everyone, at least one listen all the way through. It's shorter, only 12 songs in 40 minutes without the bonus tracks. Also, there was a mishap with the distribution of their album, so they need your help to get to number one on the charts.

If you're looking for recommendations of which ones to listen to - look no further. I got you.

1. "Red Desert"

A very sweet tribute to 5SOS's home country of Australia with this Queen and 80's-inspired banger. This is probably one of my least favorites on the album, but I don't dislike it at all in any way or capacity. It'll probably just become one of the ones I would skip when it came on. Sorry boys.

Favorite line: "You're the only one I'd do this for"

2. "No Shame"

I was OBSESSED with this song when it first dropped. I was going to listen to it for the first time while I was walking back from class, but I couldn't walk for longer than 30 seconds before I was so impressed that I needed to sit down. Luke Hemmings has the voice of an absolute god, it should be illegal to sing this well. Anyways, 10,000 copies of calm were mailed out suspiciously early, and there are a couple of conspiracy theories floating around that it's because no shame exposes the music industry. What scandal.

Favorite line: "I love the way you're screaming my name" & "Love is fatal, won't you give it a chance?" OH and "Lay me in the palm of your hand." I've very indecisive.

3. "Old Me"

This is the single I like the best out of them all. It's groovy, nostalgic, and a little sexy all rolled into one song. It's a wonderful pump-up song for when you look at how far you've come and thanked your younger self for helping you get to where you are now. Well done boys, you made it. You weren't kidding when you sang "hey, we're taking on the world" back in, like, 2012.

Favorite line: "Glad you didn't listen when the world was trying to slow me" & "Left my lovers lonely, had to fuck it up" I also have a soft spot for "Ashes on the floor" because it sounds like Ash (the drummer) is on the floor. Teehee.

4. "Easier"

You've probably heard this one a time or two... and deservedly so! I'm so used to this song by now, but I know I speak for the rest of the world when I say it still bangs.

Favorite line: "Do really have to do this now right here with all your friends around?" and "I love you so much that I hate you"

5. "Teeth"

This is another one you might've heard before! It was featured on the latest season of Thirteen Reasons Why playlist, which means it probably plays in the show at least once. What a great opportunity for the boys! The Stranger Things-esque beginning has you interested already within the first ten seconds, and you won't be disappointed with the rest.

Favorite line: "Every little lie gives me butterflies"

6. "Wildflower"

Oh boy. "Wildflower." This song goes so hard. It's sung entirely by bassist Calum Hood, all the way through the cheeky word leave-outs and funky beats. I personally have learned, so far, just one of the many Tik-Tok dances it's inspired, but I'm sure that will change. A very fun song.

Favorite line: "I love the sound, I love the taste" & "Tell you what I like" VERY SPECIFICALLY "WI-I-ILD FLOOOOWERRRR!"

7. "Best Years"

It took me a little bit to warm up to this song, but it's truly beautiful lyrically and rhythmically. This one reminds me of these last nearly seven years of my life, the best years, that I've spent with 5 Seconds of Summer. Luke, however, probably means that he'll give his current girlfriend, Sierra Deaton, the best years of HER life, but this is my rundown of the songs, not his, so, take that, Luke Hemmings!

Favorite line: "Past love, burned out like a cigarette."

8. "Not In The Same Way"

We've made it to my first of two favorites off the album! The harmony in the lines leading up to the chorus actually made me cry it's so beautiful when I listened to the album for the first time. The unique third verse also goes so hard. Structurally it's my favorite on the album, but the last song on the original album also has a hook on my heart, so I cannot declare one my favorite over the other. It's slower though, so this is my favorite fast-paced song for sure. Highly recommend.

Favorite line: "Hurricane Insert Name" & "We fuck, and we fight, then you call me a psycho" and "In the dark we're black and white, in the morning, colorblind."

9. "Lover Of Mine"

This is my boyfriend's favorite song on the album (he's also been helping me stream the album since the second it came out to help them on the charts) This one hits you right in the feels. Yet another one for Sierra, actually written with her help, about how Luke's messed up and will not make that mistake again. A current mantra I've adopted for my current relationship, which makes this song one of the songs that remind me of my boyfriend. In fact, I started calling him Lover Of Mine before I even heard the song, which makes my favorite line for this one ring even truer,

Favorite line: "When I take a look at my life and all of my crimes, you're the only thing that I think I got right."

10. "Thin White Lies"

Here's another lovely, groovy, medium-tempo-ed song This is the song on the album that I think would be the best to get it on to. Grab your quarantine partner and go a few rounds with this song on repeat. Haha jk, unless.

Favorite line: "You got me by the mouth." Ooh, sexy.

Lonely Heart

Lonely Heart, like Red Desert, probably ties at the bottom with me. The second verse is what wants me to put it slightly above Red Desert because this song has its moments, but yeah. This is another one with a modern twist on a groovy, vintage vibe. Not bad, of course, just not one I jive with the most. Still lovely, a good one to jump around and dance to.

Favorite line: "Can I have a second chance? Can I have another dance? Can I start another life with you? Yeah?"

High

And here's my other favorite on the album. The harmonizing on the word "highly" in the chorus after the 2nd verse? Heavenly. I love the honesty and the cockiness embedded in this song. It's disguised by the slower tempo and obviously beautiful vocals by Luke Hemmings that you may not first catch onto it because you're too distracted by the sheer beauty, but it's there, and by god, it's relatable.

Favorite line: "I hope you think of me high, I hope you think of me highly" and "the picture that you paint of me looks better in your mind."

Kill My Time

Kinda sounds a lot like what we're doing right now in quarantine! Killing time! This is the song that reminds me the most of my boyfriend, as it's talking about not wanting to hang out with anyone else. My boy is my best friend, and there's no one else I'd rather kick it with. I immediately bought the bonus version of calm when I learned there was an exclusive song on it, and this is it! So you won't be finding it on any streaming services, but it's out there. But you should really buy the Plus1 version of calm, $1 of each sale goes to help fight COVID-19.

Favorite line: "Wildflower fingertips on me" and "dancing in the dark till the sun comes, tangled in the sheets till the day's done" &"He's only got half of your heart 'cause I've got the other part."

I would still stand by saying that Youngblood is my favorite album. It really tugs on my heartstrings and conveys emotions that I felt at the time of the album release & still feel today. Calm, however, has stolen my heart like it's stolen the heart of many within its first week of release.

I'm crossing my fingers that despite the mysterious mixup, 5SOS also reaches number one in many big countries for the fourth time in a row with their fourth album.

Go stream Calm by 5 Seconds of Summer wherever you like to stream best.