Don't Call Girls 'Thicc'

Next Time You Want To Call Me 'Thicc' As A Compliment, Go With 'You Look Healthy' Or 'You Look Happy' Instead

A word that has a positive connotation to you might be a negative one to someone else.

302
Personal Photo

According to Urban Dictionary, thicc is defined as "when a person has fat in the right places, creating sexy curves; the appearance of a very seductive female with a large ass, in most cases the woman will have a pair of large thighs." To some, this definition is flattering and they would love to be called thicc. To others, myself included, I dread hearing someone remark that to me.

Thicc is a newer coined word, so here is a more timeless example.

If person A tells person B they look skinny, person B (as most people would think) would be delighted to hear that, because society usually associated skinny with good and positive connotations. It doesn't take into account the fact that many "skinny" people wish they weren't so skinny, but can't gain weight. They think their breasts and butt are too much, or if they're a male that they don't have enough muscle or girth.

Being called thicc is the same way.

Maybe I don't like the fact that my thighs are so "thicc" to the point that I hate wearing anything except leggings. Or that having a big butt suddenly makes up for every other flaw I have, because in 2019 guys like thicc women.

As someone who has had many eating disorders, my mind is still in the mindset of "skinnier is better."

So, when I'm told that I'm "thicc" I suddenly start to question how big my hips and thighs have gotten. To many, thicc isn't analogous with fat, but it makes me think I'm slowly making the transition from what I want to look like, to thicc, to fat.

The moral of the story is, with many words relating to one's body (skinny, fat, thicc, etc) just because you think the world upholds a certain desirability does not mean that it universal. Saying "you look healthy" or "you look happy" can get your message across much better and make the other person feel better, too.

Although I would prefer not to be called thicc whatsoever, I would rather a friend of mine call me it. Then, I can explain why they shouldn't do it again. With strangers, if they call me thicc as a compliment it's hard to turn around and say "You don't know me, you can't just say that" because in their mind they would think I'm solely a rude person for rejecting what they thought was a nice gesture.

This doesn't mean myself or others who dislike being called thicc are snowflakes or easily offended, but the word should just be used more cautiously and scarcely. Upon meeting someone, the response should not be "You're thicc" or any other word relating to one's bodily image.

Although the connotations of words such as thicc, skinny, and fat will likely never die, it is possible to educate people that their opinion of thicc, skinny, and fat is probably not analogous with everyone's definition of it.