"Call Me By Your Name" Reinvents The Modern Love Story

The four-time Oscar nominated movie is one that makes audience rethink what a love story should be comprised of, and proves that true love isn't easy. BEWARE- SPOILERS AHEAD!

139
YouTube via TRAILER CITY

Every love story seems as though it follows the same formula: guy meets girl, girl doesn't like boy, something happens to reveal true feelings, *big kiss/love scene* ensues and then they either live happily ever after or there is some tragic element that splits them apart. If someone watches romance movies enough, they will eventually catch up on this common pattern and hold it against other movies to see if they do it accurately, or maybe even scrap it altogether.

"Call Me By Your Name" is a romance movie that seemingly did both- at least in my eyes.

If you don't know already, this movie (based on the novel of the same name by André Aciman) follows Elio (played by Timothée Chalamet), a seventeen-year-old boy who is spending another summer in Italy with his parents. As it turns out, his professor father hires a research assistant who will live with them during this time- and that brings the romantic-interest Oliver (played by Armie Hammer) into the picture.

At first, I really was not sure if I was going to like, or even believe, these two characters falling in love with one another. Of course, they had complete chemistry (which I believe makes and saves the entire movie), but it sometimes didn't really seem they were ever going to do anything about their feelings for one another. As the movie progresses, though, you see Elio trying to enjoy his time by transposing music or even hooking up with his girl friend (notice how I didn't say "girlfriend"), but then he soon realizes that is not enough to keep him from being infatuated with Oliver and his mystical charm.

The pacing in this movie is really well-done, because you get that anticipation of the first kiss and even the first love scene. Once these characters start to become intimate with one another, you really believe that their mutual affection is genuine and real. You root for them throughout the whole film- even in the end when Oliver has left Italy for home.

Now one of the main themes of the movie is, of course, Elio trying to accept himself for who he is, which is that he is gay. He tries to push his feelings for Oliver aside and even hide their relationship from his parents, but even then the love is so obvious that they had noticed it all along. As both characters are of the Jewish faith, and this movie takes place over three decades ago, coming out did not seem as accepting as it seems in today's world.

Toward the end of the movie, when Oliver has left Italy and Elio returns home from the train station, his father (played by Michael Stuhlbarg) has a beautiful talk with his son about not being afraid of love and its pain. He says that as humans we are only given one heart and one body, and this opportunity- this gift- should not be taken for granted. He also makes a point to tell Elio that he supports his son's sexual preference, and this is something that is not always the case with a child and their parent. This scene was utterly beautiful, and although I'm not gay myself, the speech did strike a chord in me to not be afraid of love and its trials.

Earlier in the move, a quote from a 16th century story about a knight who is unable to tell a princess he was in love with her was being thrown around between characters that I believe to be a metaphor for this thematic element in the film- "Is it better to speak or to die?" This can relate to how Elio and Oliver accept themselves and their love.

Both of them were honest with each other about themselves, but Elio was the only one who became open with his parents about his sexuality. On the other hand, Oliver winds up getting engaged to an on-again off-again girlfriend and tells Elio over the phone he would never had been able to come clean to his father.

In simpler terms, Elio was the one who spoke and Oliver chose to let his true desires die.

By the end, this film may make audiences cry or leave them dissatisfied, but it is a real approach to summer romances- whether it be gay lovers or not. And with this, as well as the final scene with Elio crying by a fireplace as the credits roll for minutes, this film truly deserves all its Oscars nominations. The audience reaction to this movie is also overwhelmingly positive, with some individuals even claiming it has changed their life and perspectives of love.

As for my final thoughts, I personally believe that love takes form in all different shapes, sizes and sexualities. Elio and Oliver truly had something special and made me want to see more of their budding romance; their love was infectious, and it made me want to go out and find my own knight.

Elio and Oliver truly have a love that redefines the modern love story, and I believe it's one that will become as classic as Jack and Rose in the world of cinema.