California Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be

Turn signals? Forget about it. People don't have time to waste in California.

478
Amanda Scanlon

I was born and raised in Southern California, and much of my identity centered around the experiences that I had as a result of living in California. It wasn't until I moved away for college that I discovered where I had been living wasn't for me. California is a unique place, but I'm realizing now that all the hype may not be worth it. For all of you out there that are enthralled by the image that California puts forth, here is my list of seven reasons why it's not all it's cracked up to be.

1. The heat

Most people seem to associate California as a place where it's 75 and sunny every day. Well, let me just shed some light on that lie. The only time its 75 and sunny is in the middle of December. The summer is a scolding 110 degrees, maybe only breaking the high 90s if you're lucky. There are no seasons in Southern California, so get ready to be drinking your pumpkin spice latte in flip flops with sunglasses on your head. For those of you who prefer the heat to the cold, then maybe Southern California is for you—just know you will be spending Christmas on the beach.

2. The bods

Speaking of the beaches, much of Californian culture centers around the beach and being bikini-clad. While not every girl living in Southern California lives up to Katy Perry's anthem of what we should represent, most of us have to have our bodies on display. The norm for dressing is the least amount of clothing possible without being cited for public indecency.

As a result, everyone will know what every flattering or unflattering part of your body looks like. This leads people to be much more conscious of their appearance than in other places. Here in Washington you just put on a parka and nobody cares and even better, it's a mystery as to what's underneath.

3. The customer service

Don't expect anyone to treat you like an actual human being, and oh...get ready to be on hold with whoever you call. There seems to be this notion that everything and everybody is just too important and busy with their own lives to deal with whatever minuscule issue you're having. I've had to slow myself way down since I moved. I've found since I moved to Washington that I might be the rudest person here. It's in my nature to get things done as fast as possible and have little regard for what other people have going on.

News flash for me, other people don't operate that way in other parts of the country.

4. The traffic

Turn Signals?? Forget about it. As I mentioned above, people don't have time to waste in California. If you are brave enough to get on the freeway, just know that if you aren't willing to cut off anything or anybody that gets in your way, chances are you will end up on the side of the road and not your destination.

5. The juice shops

I'm all for a good smoothie, but paying $7.56 for some freshly squeezed grass seems absurd. However, it is not only acceptable but encouraged. You can find these shops on every corner.

When you go in, make sure you tell the juice barista that you just came from yoga otherwise there is no way to justify getting the peanut butter protein smoothie over the lemongrass fusion.

6. The casual lifestyle

So I've learned something since being in Washington, people actually get offended if you cancel your plans. Back home, If I made lunch plans with a friend for 12:00 p.m. that friend knew it wouldn't be happening till 3:00 p.m. or at all. Here, you better show up when you say you're going to or else you will live up to your reputation as a "Californian Flake."

7. The palm trees

Last but certainly not least, the palm trees! Don't get me wrong, I think palm trees are beautiful but every suburban neighborhood in Southern California is sprinkled with out of place palm trees that have been intentionally planted. It's not only unnatural but adds to the overall ridiculousness of California's image. As a kid instead of carving my initials into an oak tree or some other "normal" kind of tree, I carved them into a palm tree...

I'll never forget my roots in that crazy place called California, but I can certainly say that Washington has been treating me well.