7 Reasons Why Everyone Needs To Watch 'Cable Girls'

A timeless tale of women fighting for independence.
49426

Las Chicas del Cable (Cable Girls) is Netflix’s very first original Spanish series, and it is a must-see! It follows the lives of four women working as switchboard operators at a telephone company in Madrid in the late 1920’s. The women face great difficulties as they strive for independence and freedom from the oppressive control of men. It’s a beautifully crafted story of bravery, heartbreak, perseverance, love, womanhood, and so much more. Out of the many reasons why you should watch this new series, here are the seven that I think are the biggest:

1. The Friendships

The sisterhood formed between the four main women—Lidia/Alba (Blanca Suárez), Marga (Nadia de Santiago), Ángeles (Maggie Civantos), and Carlota (Ana Fernández)—is the heart of the series. They are willing to go to great lengths for each other, and they do.

While the sisterhood is the shining star of the show, the brotherhood of Carlos (Martiño Rivas) and Francisco (Yon González) is not to be overlooked. They have their issues, but in the end, they are there for one another.

2. The Romance

Every possible type of romance is portrayed, from hidden and rapidly fading to pure and forbidden, "Las Chicas del Cable" has it all. My favorite could be categorized as "pure" because it is the sweetest blossoming romance between a dapper gentleman and operator 57/47.

3. The Drama

Who doesn’t love a dash of drama and betrayal every now and then? There is family drama along with drama at the workplace. Hearts are broken. Lies are told more than the truth. Secrets are revealed. Theft is commonplace (for Lidia/Alba, at least). Cheating runs rampant. There is never a dull moment.

4. The Costumes

Old-fashioned flapper and shift dresses. Cropped hairstyles for women. Sleek suits for men. Cloche hats. The costumes add that necessary air of authenticity to the show, transporting the viewer back in time to 1928.

5. The Cast

Talented actors come together to create full, complex characters—to love, to hate, to pity, etc. The cast is especially good at conveying myriad emotions through the subtlest of expressions or actions.

Also, if you’re a fan of “El Internado,” as I am, you need to check this out because the actors who played Marcos (Martiño Rivas), Ivan (Yon González), and Julia (Blanca Suárez) have lead roles.

6. The Music

Lovely slow songs or more upbeat songs with English lyrics typically play at the beginning and end of each episode, accompanying narration by Alba/Lidia. As the series progresses, these songs play at varying times, the genre of music adding a modern twist to the historical show. One of my favorites that played in episode one is "Different Worlds" by Jes Hudak & George Krikes.

7. The Message

“Las Chicas del Cable” sends out a timeless message of women empowerment and the importance of fighting tirelessly for gender equality. The first lines we hear describe the struggles of woman to attain their dreams in such a mysogynistic time period: "In 1928, women were essentially seen as accessories to be shown off, objects unable to express an opinion or make a decision...freedom seemed impossible to achieve. If to be free, we had to break the law, we were willing to do it." Intrigued? You should be!

Go watch "Las Chicas del Cable" on Netflix right now! (Even if you don't speak Spanish, watch it! There's no need to fear subtitles! They don't detract from the show!)