These Are The Members Of President-Elect Trump's Cabinet So Far

A look into the future Cabinet of the U.S.

61
Gage Skidmore/Flickr

Tuesday, November 8th, the US shocked the world by electing Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States of America. Now, nearly a month later he's chosen some people to help aid him as he attempts to successfully lead the country*...

*with the exception of three positions, all these need to be approved by the Senate, so, of course, nothing is set in stone yet.

1. Defense Secretary: James A. Mattis

James A. Mattis is a General in the US Marine Corp, enlisting in 1969 as a rather learned man, earning a BA in history from Central Washington University. Having served in the military for so long, he achieved the rank of Major General, leading the 1st Marine Division during the 2003 Iraq Invasion. He has served in such positions as Supreme Allied Commander of Transformation, Commander of the US Joint Forces Command, and his final office held was Commander of US Central Command, which he left in 2013. Since retiring from the military in 2013, he has co-edited a book, serves as a member on the General Dynamics Board of Directors, and is on the advisory board of the 501c3 organization, "Spirit of America."

2. Treasury Secretary: Steven Mnuchin

Steven Mnuchin was an executive from Goldman Sachs, where he worked for 17 years. From there, he worked for Sears but left to found the hedge fund Dune Capital Managment, which funded two of Trump's projects. In 2009, Mnuchin and others bought IndyMac and renamed it OneWest before it was bought out by CIT Group in 2015. He also has worked in Hollywood, founding RatPac-Dune Entertainment, the company that produced "Avatar", "American Sniper", "Mad Max: Fury Road", and the "X-Men" franchise. In April of this year, he joined Trump's team as the Finance Chair, and then later named Trump's choice for Treasury Secretary, the third Goldman Sachs alumni to hold this title, if accepted by the Senate.

3. Transportation Secretary: Elaine L. Chao

Elaine Chao was the 24th Labor Secretary, serving under George Bush from 2001-2009. She was the first Chinese-American to serve in the cabinet. After earning her MBA from Harvard Business School in 1979, she went on to be the vice president of syndications at Bank of America in San Francisco and an international banker for Citigroup for four years. In 1983 she earned a White House Fellowship from her work with the Citigroup. In 1986 she was appointed deputy administrator of Maritime Administration under the Department of Transportation. From 1991-1992 she was the director of the Peace Corps, expanding their presence in Europe and Asia. After her term as Peace Corps director, she was the president and CEO of the United Way for four years, and in 1996 until 2001 she worked for the conservative think tank Heritage Foundation, where she returned to after her tenure as Labor Secretary.

4. Health and Human Services Secretary: Tom Price

Tom Price was born in Michigan, where he earned his M.D., serving his residency time at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. Living in Roswell, he was the president of the local Rotary Club and served on the North Fulton Chamber of Commerce. In 1996, he decided to run as the Republican for the 56th Senate district of Georgia, where he won the next four elections on the state level, serving on a variety of committees. In 2004, after the Incumbent decided not to run, Price and five other Republicans ran for Georgia's 6th congressional district in the House of Representatives, where he won in a run-off vote. He has held this position since 2005.

5. Commerce Secretary: Wilbur Ross

Wilbur Ross earned an MBA at the Harvard Business School after his passion for writing died out at Yale. In the late '70s, he took a job in New York at Rothschild Inc., running the bankruptcy-restructuring program. In the '80s, he fostered a relationship with Trump, helping him with his casinos in Atlantic City. In the 90's he began to gather money to invest in "distressed assets," after which he left Rothschild to found WL Ross & Co, which lasted until 2006 when Invesco bought them out. After that, he tried saving various industries, such as steel, automotive, and coal through the creation of various groups. Coal is where he ran into some trouble, as he was involved with the company that owned the Sago Mine in West Virginia--the mine that collapsed and claimed the lives of 12 miners. On November 30th, the Trump Transition team confirmed their intent to nominate him as the Commerce Secretary.

6. Education Secretary: Betsy DeVos

Betsy DeVos was educated in private school all the way through college--Holland Christian High School in Michigan and Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI, where she earned a BA in business administration and political science. In 1982, she began her political activity, serving as an active member of the MI Republican Party, even achieving the position of chairwoman from 1996-2000, and again in 2003. Her pick for Education Secretary has been met with a lot of backlash, as Randi Weingarten called her in a New York Times Interview "the most...anti-public education nominee" since the position was added to the cabinet.

7. U.N Ambassador: Nikki R. Haley

Nikki R. Haley is the first female governor of South Carolina and is the youngest current Governor in the US. Before that, she served in the state House of Representatives from 2005-2011. An interesting tidbit about her was that she was raised as a Sikh, a sect of Islam. In 1996 she married into the Methodist church, which she now identifies herself as.

8. Attorney General: Jeff Sessions

Jeff Sessions was born and raised in Alabama, earning the rank of Eagle Scout in 1964, graduated from Huntingdon College in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree, and in 1973 he obtained his law degree from the university of Alabama. Starting in 1975, he was an assistant US attorney and was confirmed by the Senate for the US Attorney position for the southern district of Alabama in 1981, a position he held for 12 years. In 1986, Reagan nominated him to be a judge in the US District Court for the Southern District of Alabama but failed to confirm him based on concerns of racial equality. In 1994 he was elected to the Attorney General of Alabama, and the following year was elected to the US Senate, where he has stayed since then. He was an early supporter of Trump, advising him on policy, especially on Immigration and National Security.

9. Chief of Staff: Reince Priebus

Reince Priebus has been a foundation of the Republican Party for years. He graduated in 1994 from University of Wisconsin-Whitewater with an English and Political Science degree, going on to earn his law degree in 1998 from University of Miami. He ran for Wisconsin State Senate in 2004 but lost to the incumbent. He was elected the chairman of the Wisconsin Republican Party in 2007, and two years later became the general counsel for the RNC, helping to raise prominent Republican names today. In 2011, he was elected chairman of the RNC after seven ballots, winning three terms, where he has stayed until Trump takes office in January.

10. Chief Strategist: Stephen K. Bannon

Stephen Bannon has a master's degree from Georgetown University in National Security Studies and an MBA with honors from Harvard Business School. After serving seven years in the Navy, he started working as an investment banker at Goldman Sachs, launching Bannon & Co in 1990, selling it in 1998. After that, he moved into the film industry, producing 18 films and hosting an XM radio station. In 2007, he helped to found Breitbart news, and in 2012 became chair, pushing it further and further to the right. In August 2016, he was appointed Chief Executive of the Trump Campaign, leaving Breitbart to take the job.

So, one can see that the cabinet is full of diverse, qualified people. Whether these were the right picks, only time will tell. For now, though, we must keep the faith that these people will help keep moving the country forward.