Bye Bye Black Man

Bye Bye Black Man

The End of the Obama Presidency

16
Bye Bye Black Man
http://maryjoyce.com

In approximately sixteen days from today (Oct. 23) America will elect a new President, thus ending the eight year run of 44th president Barack Obama. With his final term coming to an end, I'd would be remiss to let it pass without stating the following: President Obama has been the most disrespected president in American history. Say what you will about the man's politics, choices while in office, or anything else about his overall performance, but it cannot be denied that no other President or first family have ever had to deal with the levels of unwarranted hate and vile that this family has. So while I am slightly saddened by the departure of the Obama's, I'm also glad that they can finally escape the eye of a public that has despised them for so long.

Looking at the options given for the next commander in chief, people have begun to realize how well they've had it with the Obama's. It's very nice to see the first family finally get the respect they deserve. However, this doesn't change how the American public treated them in the beginning of the presidency. No President has ever been considered a terrorist, Muslim, the anti-Christ, or a demon from hell all in the same term nor has any President ever been questioned on the legitimacy of their citizenship. This man's very humanity was questioned, and the fact that the American people will never apologize for the way they treated him is truly appalling.

When given thought, it's depressing how we've treated this man and his family over the past eight years. From offenses like not properly saluting soldiers when departing from Air Force One, to blaming him for the deeds of his predecessor, President Obama's name has been dragged through the mud at every turn. And when the American people weren't disrespecting him, they discrediting all of his achievements. To this day, you can find people who won't credit Obama for getting America out of a recession, bringing down Osama bin Laden, making health care affordable for millions of people, and a dozen of other accomplishments. Instead, the American public and congress alike decided to make the Presidents life a living hell. And one of the reasons President Obama was met with so much obstruction and discontent was for the simple fact that he is an African American.

Now, I know how uncomfortable people can get when race is brought up. It's still a very touchy subject that most people feel better ignoring completely. It is, however, an undeniable factor that has contributed to the hate of the Obama's. For anyone who wants to deny this fact, let me give you a personal experience. I was in the 7th grade when President Obama was elected. I wasn't as politically aware as I am today and couldn't fathom the impact of his presidency. My understanding of this event did grow when I heard the opinion of a fellow classmate. Their words were along the lines of “No offense, but I can't stand that nigger being in office.” The fact that a black man being in the highest office of this country could offend a seventh grader that much speaks volumes to how a good chunk of the America people felt about the President. They probably weren't truly racist, but there was a limit. Black people were cool as long as they knew their place, and President of the United States was apparently no place for a Negro. And now, here we are. Eight years later poised to discriminate and disrespect another President. While she is definitely ready to take the position, Hillary Clinton will no doubt face the same discrimination that President Obama faced if she is elected in November. We can argue that she is corrupt and a foul player, but sooner or later, we'll have to acknowledge as a country that we can't handle a woman as President. Especially not right after dealing with a black man as President.

President Obama has no doubt accomplished many things in his eight years as Commander in Chief, and it'll be hard to let him go in November. However, it'll be a joyous thing to see him freed of the hate that has surrounded him for so long. An even better sight will be seeing him go down as one of the greatest Presidents this country has ever had.

Thanks for reading.