Goodbye 2016

Goodbye 2016

It's been real.

10
Goodbye 2016
Carlos ARL

It has been a long and challenging 365 days, and finally, it has ended. 2016, now that your time is over and you have been replaced by 2017, I have a few words for you. I lost a lot throughout this year including myself several times. I sacrificed a lot, cried a lot, and hurt a lot, but through it all, I prospered. When it all seemed unbearable and impossible to continue on any longer, I picked myself up and began making some changes, refusing to feel pity for myself any longer.

You did not break me.

You showed me what I was made of.

On that note, you have taught me many valuable lessons that I will carry with me for future years to come such as, whenever you wear foundation, blend down to your neck; but more important ones were, you will not please everyone. That’s just life, and truthfully, your job isn’t to please everyone. You never came into this world for that purpose, and if you’re not disappointing a few, you’re not doing something right.

Another is, be a little selfish and do what makes you the happiest. People will always have their opinions on what they think is best for you and will frown upon you when you don’t take that direction, but smile at them and tell them, “This is my life. Not yours.” If you don’t, you’ll go on pretending to be okay with something you’re not okay with, and how long will it be before you say enough is enough? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? The time is now, it will always be now.

Pretending is never okay.

Another lesson is, love yourself to no end. It’s okay to walk with your head high, and accept compliments without feeling shy or embarrassed by it. It’s okay to wear that risky outfit that showcases some of your flaws, it’s okay to be confident- don’t let anyone try to take that away from you or shame you for it. Own it. Proudly.

Last is, some friends aren’t really your friends. They’ll pretend that they are, but have a condescending way of trying to tear you down. They’ll make you feel less than what you are and will try to de-validate your dreams and goals. They’ll never apologize for any of their wrong-doings. These people aren’t your friends and probably never were. Let then go, no matter how long you may have known them, just let them go.

Thank you 2016. Even the bad times (and all the celebrities we loved that have died during this time) can’t outweigh all that I have walked into 2017 with. I’m excited to see what this upcoming year has in store for me, and can only hope the adventure takes off from here.