7 things business students have to face

7 Phenomenas You Can't Avoid When You Are A Business Major

Like every academic major in college, business students share the same experiences with one another and can run into the same specific collection of problems.

112
https://images.pexels.com/photos/1068523

With the same coursework and professors, business majors also learn about important tools and events that are believed to be helpful in the career search.

Here is a sampling of these shared experiences:

1. Handshakes.

Firm grip, but not too firm - two pumps, three maximum. Eye contact and a warm smile. This is the formulaic recipe for having the utmost professional handshake. Professors have countless PowerPoint presentations on the greeting to train aspiring businessmen and women in making the loveliest first impression on job recruiters and employers.

2. Resume critiques.

Having a list of your job experiences, academic accomplishments, and respective skillset can be a tumultuous task, creating the need for help and guidance. In resume critiques, your list of attributes are marked, crossed, and edited with the accessory of professional advice. There you learn how to reimage yourself and market a new persona ready for the workforce.

3. LinkedIn.

Why fret about your public persona on Instagram and Twitter when there's LinkedIn? This professional networking site is believed to be one of the ultimate tools for getting a job in the competitive workforce. LinkedIn is viewed as the intellectual reimagining of Facebook, as cat videos and selfies are replaced by scholarly articles and informational films. This social networking site is the digital form of your resume and the neater, comprehensive blanket-version of your best self.

4. Elevator pitches.

The oddity that is known as the elevator pitch consists of morphing your own personal character into a quilted Frankenstein-esque speech, meant for sharing with various employers, mentors, and colleagues. The name of the pitch derives from the common anecdotal circumstance of stepping into an elevator with a top figurehead or executive and the sudden desire to impress the luminary before the elevator delivers the both of you to the chosen floor.

5.  Formal attire.

Blazer, trouser, loafer or wedge, following the mandatory dress code of the business casual style consists of a systematic routine embedded with a limited variety of clothing. Dressing in business casual may seem like fun, but when external factors are taken into account, such as weather, the required dress code can get old pretty fast.

6. Success stories.

Guest speakers are usually invited to class in order to share their personal career story and inspire up-and-coming business students. In these presentations, you learn about a stranger's past and present, illustrating that the road to success will have twists, turns, and deep falls. You also learn that what you want right now might not be able to satisfy you in two, five, or even 10 years. You leave these presentations either deeply inspired or dimly saddened.

7. Startup events.

Not everyone wants to work for a company. In fact, for business students, becoming an entrepreneur is highly encouraged because of the personal and creative freedom the career path can provide. That's why it's common for business students to attend various social events celebrating the latest and greatest startup companies that alumni have generated. Whether the startup finds success, however, is ambiguous.