10 Times Miranda Priestly Taught Us To Be Fierce Businesswomen

"That's all."

778
Wordpress

"The Devil Wears Prada" is one of my absolute favorite movies. First off Meryl Streep is just an incredible actress and pretty much nailed the part as Miranda Priestly (Meryl is also the queen of acting but that's just my opinion). Then adding Anne Hathaway into the mix just made the movie even better. Both Meryl and Anne nailed their parts and if anyone else had played either role, it just wouldn't have been the same.

It's been about a decade since this movie came out, and when it came out when I was too young to understand or even truly care about my future. But I recently watched this movie and thought to myself, Miranda Priestly has some very true life and job lessons that I think we could all use.

1. Speak softly.

Throughout this entire movie, I noticed Miranda Priestly rarely raised her voice. Which goes to show that being loud and obnoxious doesn't do much, in fact speaking softly puts more fear into someone's eyes than loud voices.

2. Don't be afraid to take a risk and always say yes to a challenge.

Miranda isn't afraid to challenge her employees. Especially her assistants. One example of always saying yes to a challenge is when Miranda wanted that unpublished Harry Potter manuscript. Though it was near to impossible, Andy did it.

3. A female executive's number one priority is to train the woman under her.

A good female executive will train you to be fierce as hell and not take any shit. Now some may think Miranda was too hard on Andy, but she needed to be. Andy needed to learn how to dress the part and also needed to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her. Miranda gave Andy a harsh reality check, which in the end served her well.

4. Don't make excuses as to why you failed.

If you fail, you fail. Get up and try again. Don't make an excuse to your boss as to why you screwed up. They don't care.

5. Don't take a job and not care.

Andy did not deserve that position. She never had the desire nor interest in fashion. Which goes to show, don't take a job if all you're going to do is complain about how you don't fit in or if you're going to giggle at inappropriate times.

6. Everyone thinks they have the toughest job.

Emily is the perfect example of this one. She's good at her job, because she thinks it's the hardest thing ever. That mentality will make you a good employee. Why? Because you'll never quit trying.

7. It's perfectly fine to choose your career over your friends.

Andy has the WORST support system ever (with the exception of Nigel). She gets this once in a lifetime opportunity to work for Miranda Priestly and her friends (and family) were so damn selfish. It's perfectly fine to choose your career over your friends, and if they can't accept that, then get new friends.

8. Stay calm in the most stressful situations.

You're job will be stressful. And you will hate it. But staying calm is better than freaking out. Your boss doesn't want a crybaby. Pushing you is their way of seeing how far you're willing to go.

9. Appearance means everything.

How you dress will tell a lot about your work ethic and how serious you are. For example, Andy started out really not caring about her appearance, she dressed like she was going to work. While in some offices that's okay, she was working for Runway Fashion Magazine. It took her a while, but she then realized she, needed to dress the part in order to kick ass at her job.

10. Make a lasting impression on your boss.

Andy got the "dream job" for most young fashion icon men and women. She got to work for the fashion queen herself. While she went through hell, Miranda gave her a recommendation for her true dream job. Meaning if you leave that lasting outcome on a boss, they might just repay you with something incredible.