The Buckwheat festival is full of food, fun and family

While the buckwheat cakes are delicious what's even better are the memories I made there.

58
Tess Weaver

Many people have traditions, things they enjoy doing again and again. For me one of my favorite traditions was going to the Buckwheat Festival. Many of my relatives live in West Virginia and it is always fun to go up and visit them. The Buckwheat festival was that one time in the year when I got to enjoy my family's and friend's company once again.

I went to the Buckwheat festival a lot when I was younger. Getting older and busier and having more work to do my family and I struggled to go up as much as we once did. I've been saddened that I haven't had a change to go back to this wonderful festival and the many people I love that live down there.

This year I told myself I would go down no matter what. If I went by myself that was fine but luckily my boyfriend said, he would be willing to come too (I also don't like driving so he was my chauffeur). I was so excited for this event and the many things it has to offer and I was so happy to be sharing this experience with someone else as well.

The Buckwheat festival started this year on September 28 and lasted until October 2. This festival has been going on since October of 1938 were it has since grown bigger every year.

The Buckwheat festival came about sometime late into the great depression during the recovery process in West Virginia. Many farmers were hurting economically and for that reason decided to grow and "insurance crop" called buckwheat (it was mainly used for animal feed). Farmers thought this crop would help them to prosper and for their end of the harvest homecoming they would relax and have fun, in turn creating the the Buckwheat Festival which is held in Preston County West Virginia.

The main event at this festival is of course the buckwheat cakes. For those who don't know what those are think of pancakes but thinner and browner. There are light and fluffy but aren't thick or hard to cut through. When going to the festival you buy a ticket for the buckwheat kitchens were you go in pick up a plate of buckwheat cakes and sausages and it until you can't eat anymore cakes.

For the pros (like my grandfather) it is so easy to eat at least six huge cakes. They are so delicious, and drowning them in syrup and butter seems like the only way to go (however if you like peanut butter like me go for that). Some people even bring in their own syrup creating their own unique experiences.

While the buckwheat cakes are part of the festival, there is also the parade where the Buckwheat King and Queen are crowned. Along with this there is a whole arts and craft section were people sell handmade goods. If you want to see prized animals, then head over to the animal section of the fair. Once you've done all your sightseeing hop on some rides and enjoy the rest of your day

For me I really enjoyed getting to see and experience the Buckwheat festival once again. I'm so glad I got to see relatives and friends I haven't seen in a long time. The Buckwheat festival is my own personal family reunion in a way.

With that I also enjoyed sharing a personal experience with my boyfriend. I'm happy he was willing to go with me to see why I love this festival so much and the different people I love there. He says he can't wait to go next year and I agree, expect maybe next year we won't ride spiny rides right after we eat.