I'm Learning The Importance Of Loving Myself, Thanks To A BTS Album

And I am continuing to love myself.

189

On August 24, 2018, the repackage album "Love Yourself: Answer" was released by the widely popular Korean pop group BTS. The album is the conclusion to the three-piece "Love Yourself" series that started in September 2017 with the mini-album "Love Yourself: Her" and then continuing with the full-length album "Love Yourself: Tear" in May 2018 and then concluding with "Answer."

The entire premise of the albums go from loving someone else and then realizing you don't love them to learn that a big proponent of love is to love yourself. That is a message that the group has been trying to get across, the message of loving yourself.

Even the members are learning the same thing. During their speech at the United Nations, group leader Kim Namjoon (RM) said, "I have many faults and I have many more fears, but I'm going to embrace myself as hard as I can."

The discography discusses many times of saying that you should love yourself no matter what. The title song "Idol," there is the predominant line before the chorus sung by Park Jimin (Jimin), "You can't stop me loving myself." In the song "Epiphany," Kim Seokjin (Jin) sings the lyric, "not so perfect, but so beautiful/I'm the one I should love." The song "I'm Fine" which is almost like a sequel song to their 2016 song "Save Me," talks about how everything is okay and how they're fine and happy now. Then there is the line from "Answer: Love Myself" which is "You show me I have reasons I should love myself."

That line lyric I mentioned is something that I know, but am slowly coming to accept.

I know that I have many flaws and fears, but it took a long time to accept them, to begin with. I know that I have a hearing loss, but it took until my junior year of high school to accept that this is a part of my life and to finally write about it (I did a newspaper article for journalism about hearing loss). I know my body type is not the most ideal one, but it's my body and I should learn to love it. That is something I'm slowly coming to terms with after a time of suddenly losing a lot of weight and then gaining it all back to a weight that I feel healthy at. I'm also once again coming to terms that grades do not define who I am as a person because of school.

These powerful lyrics are what I have been learning to do for the past couple of years, but they are just making it more known.

So thank you to BTS for making this amazing album series. I could say more, but I will go on this long ass tangent.

At least I know that to anyone who tries to put me down, you can't stop me from loving myself.