Dear Brown Skin Girl, Never Stop Loving Yourself

You are loved brown skin girl, so why would you ever stop loving yourself?

163

Black History Month is here once again. What a beautiful time of year to celebrate all of the accomplishments of those who lived before us, while looking forward to the future of those rich in melanin. In the spirit of celebration, I wanted to dedicate something to the little black girls who may question their beauty because of their skin.

Dear brown skin girl, know that I feel your pain. It can be hard to have skin as beautiful as ours because sometimes people don't see the value in it. We've been called names all because our skin radiates sunlight. People have tried to steal our joy, but the joy that lives inside us can never fade. It can't fade because we are queens. They don't say that we have #blackgirlmagic for no reason. We are powerful, beautiful, intelligent, and most importantly capable.

As you remember who you are, don't let anyone make you feel ashamed because of your skin. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't wear that lipstick or dye your hair that color because it's "too light" for you. Their opinions don't matter. Wear whatever you want and be proud to express your creativity in fashion, makeup and hair. There is nothing but endless possibilities to what you can do with your originality because you are walking originality. You are the blueprint brown skin girl, don't forget that.

If you feel like you're all alone in this world, remember this article. Remember that other women and girls like me are rooting for you because we've all felt that way at some point. But once you look around and realize that women who look like us, talk like us, walk like us are being represented more and more, you'll see that you aren't alone. Your smile is as bright as the stars, your hair defies gravity and there is nothing you can't do. Especially when all your brown skin sisters like me, have your back.

At the end of the day, I never want you to stop loving yourself. Your skin is a gift from God. He knew what he was doing when he blessed you with all that melanin. Remind yourself of that daily. Write yourself love letters and post them on your mirror if it'll help. Support your fellow brown skin sisters and remind them that they are radiant, just like you. Be kind, love hard, and practice self-care. You are valuable brown skin girl, Beyoncé made a song about you for goodness sake!