Broadway's Smash Hit "Newsies" Lights Up The Big Screen

Cast members old and new joined together to film the show that took Broadway by storm in 2012, showing that Newsies is here to stay.

47
Fathom Events

For three days in February, the Broadway smash hit musical Newsies hits the big screen. Based on the 1992 Disney film, the musical tells the story of the newsboy strike of 1899. Newsies opened on Broadway in March 2012 and instantly became a hit. The show attracted a huge fan following that helped turn it's originally planned 101 show run, into a two year run. The show closed in August 2014 and then head out on a national tour. Before the 1st National Tour came to a close, it was announced that the musical was going to be filmed for the big screen to be released on February 16, 18, and 22. The live-action film stars a combination of former Broadway cast members and tour cast members.

Original Broadway cast member Jeremy Jordan reprises his role as charismatic leader, Jack Kelly. Jordan received a Tony nomination in 2012 for his performance in Newsies, so it is no surprise that he does a phenomenal job back in this role. He portrays the many different emotions Jack has throughout the movie, very well. One of his highlight moments in the film is the Act 1 closing number, "Santa Fe". Starting off teary-eyed, and ending in a powerful belting note, Jordan makes the audience feel all of the emotions that Jack was feeling in that moment. Alongside his acting, his chemistry with leading lady Kara Lindsay, gives everyone all the feels.

Kara Lindsay makes a return to the role of Katherine Plumber after originating the role on Broadway in 2012. Katherine Plumber is an up-and-coming journalist, determined to make her big break as a newspaper reporter. She follows the newsboys along their journey to make a change. Lindsay adds the perfect amount of sass to Katherine which keeps the audience giggling from time to time. Fresh off of one of many runs as Glinda in Wicked, Kara Lindsay steps back into the role stronger than ever, stealing the show with her solo "Watch What Happens", and her high kicks in "King Of New York". Katherine is one of very few female characters in Newsies and Kara does a great job holding that strong female power throughout the show.

Jeremy Jordan and Kara Lindsay during the live filming of Newsies.

Original Broadway cast members Andrew-Keenan Bolger and Ben Fankhauser also reprise their roles. Andrew Keenan-Bolger returns as Jack's strong-minded best bud, Crutchie. Even though Crutchie has a bum leg, Keenan-Bolger makes his way around the stage with confidence, showing that nothing will stop him. He tugs at the heart strings when he sings his song "Letter From The Refuge", which was newly written into the musical for the 1st national tour. Ben Fankhauser reprises his role as newsboy newcomer, Davey. Not only does Fankhauser have killer vocals, but he also dances along side the other newsboys in their big showstopping numbers. Although Davey is often the voice of reason among the newsboys, Fankhauser does a wonderful job showing the more soft side of Davey, as he watches out for his little brother, Les, throughout the film.

Rounding up the group of original Broadway cast members that return for the film are ensemble members: Iain Young, John E. Brady, Andy Richardson, Tommy Bracco, Kevin Carolan, Mark Aldrich, Julian DeGuzman, JP Ferreri, Jacob Guzman, and David Guzman.

Alongside the Broadway cast members are 1st National Tour cast members: Ethan Steiner as Davey's little brother Les, Steve Blanchard as the evil Pulitzer, Aisha De Haas as the fierce and fabulous Medda Larkin, Bill Bateman, Joshua Burrage, Ben Cook, Michael Dameski, Nico DeJesus, Sky Flaherty, Kaitlyn Frank, Michael Gorman, Stephen Hernandez, Meredith Inglesby, James Judy, Beth Stafford Laird, Devin Lewis, Eric Jon Mahlum, Nicholas Masson, Anthony Norman, Michael Rios, Jordan Samuels, Jack Sippel, Daniel Switzer, Andrew Wilson, Chaz Wolcott, and Anthony Zas.

The cast of Newsies during the live filming

The entire cast is full of energy from start to finish, not letting the energy drop for even a split second. The insane energy given by the cast, transports the movie theater audiences to feel like they are in the actual theater watching the show. The energetic group numbers in this show cause people sitting in the movie theater to physically start clapping when they are finished. Whether they are singing, flipping across the stage, doing endless turns or dancing with brooms and spoons, each cast member has something unique to add to the cast. Together, this cast is a group of strong, talented individuals who have created something special that will now be on film for generations to see.