Lifetime's 'Britney Ever After': The Review

A review of the Lifetime biopic of pop star sensation Britney Spears.

31
ABC News

This was a sight for sore eyes.

Saturday, February 18th, was the day Lifetime aired Britney Ever After, a bio movie about the life of pop-star sensation Britney Spears. The film showcased Spears from her highest of highs of the late 90s and the early 2000s to her lowest of lows during the mid-2000s, with Britney making her comeback in 2009 to today.

It would have been a great movie, if many of the events in Spears's life were not cut out, or overdramatized. And I know this is something I should've expected from Lifetime. Remember when they did that biography about R&B singer Aaliyah? Or how about the horrible Full House biography with the terrible miscasting of the entire Full House cast?

And as Lifetime always does, the casting of Britney Ever After was as terrible as it could be. For example, there is a scene that takes place in 2008 and the actress who portrays Britney's sister Jamie Lynn Spears still looks like she is eight years old. In reality, Jamie Lynn was 16 and pregnant (which led to the cancellation of Zoey 101, no one is still bitter about that right?)

And oh man did they rip into Justin Timberlake! First off, his character is portrayed as this clueless boyband singer lusting after Britney. And when their relationship was on the rocks, Justin is seen as this jealous and cold-hearted man. And their breakup resulted in a hilarious dance-off. Hopefully, Timberlake was taking the night off while this movie was on.

And do not get me started on the casting for NSYNC. That is a whole article in itself.

I feel like the only person who benefited from their casting choice was Kevin Federline, Britney Spears's ex-husband. The fake Kevin Federline looked ten times better than the real Kevin Federline!

As for the story, it was all over the place. Whoever put this film together needs to learn a bit more about pacing.

An example of this is where the film is set at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2008, and then we go to Las Vegas in 2004 where Britney is with Jason Allen Alexander who she married and then divorced not long after the wedding. If you are going to make a movie about a person's life, at least put the events in the order in which they occurred. Or at least know how to master a real flashback.

And don't think we noticed the differences between the outfits Britney wore in real life than to the outfits that were shown in the movie. The iconic denim dress Britney wore in 2001 turned into a denim jumpsuit. *sigh*. And the iconic hot pink wig Britney wore in 2007 was now a blue wig. *bigger sigh*.

If you are looking for a good laugh, then Britney Ever After will surely leave you holding on to your stomach and spitting wine all over your television screen (not saying that it happened to me, but hey it could happen to anyone.)

And if you were wondering where Britney's music was, Spears never gave permission to Lifetime to use her music. So here is a Britney tune that is near and dear to my heart.