Brisbane-Bound: Pre-arrival Thoughts

Brisbane-Bound: Pre-arrival Thoughts

Follow my adventures "down under" in Brisbane Australia, while I study abroad on the other side of the world

24
Brisbane-Bound: Pre-arrival Thoughts
Australia Studies Centre

As some of you may know, I will be traveling halfway across the world to study abroad very soon. In less than two weeks I will be going "down under" in Brisbane, Australia.

I will leave all that I know and love to live with a new family, take courses in another country, and experience a hemisphere I have never been to. I am so excited about this adventure and how it will change me as a person. I will be journaling as much as I can on this blog.

I'll be joining 24 other American students, from all over the United States, to take a 14 hour flight from LA to Brisbane. From there we will immediately begin orientation activities in Brisbane, a city the size of Houston, a little smaller than Chicago.

From there we will explore our surroundings for a few days before meeting our host families. We will be living with them for about 15 weeks, before leaving for Sydney when classes end. We'll get to see a little bit of Sydney before heading back to America. During my time there I will be taking four classes at Christian Heritage College in Carindale, a suburb of Brisbane.

The classes include two classes about Australia specifically, as well as the equivalent for Evangelical Theology and Ancient Philosophy. I am eager to learn in a completely different culture, on a completely different continent. Throughout my travels I will be going on program scheduled trips, volunteering, and interning for the university.

There are many things I have to look forward to:

-the beach

-taking classes again

-Australian accents

-new friends

-learning and living in a whole new culture

-not having to work 3 jobs while I'm in school

-going overseas for the first time

-visiting the Great Barrier Reef and the Gold Coast

-living with a different family

-public transportation

-experiencing summer, fall, then summer, fall

I do have high expectations for my experience, and I know that it may be a little different from what I expect, but I know it will be both a rewarding and life-changing experience. I will miss so many people, but I have to take my chances because I know it will be worth it. God has provided in more ways than one so that I can go on this study abroad. I am thrilled to be making some new friends from around the United States and Australia, as well as experiencing life from another domain.

To keep updated on my travels follow my blog and subscribe to my YouTube channel!