Bring Your Pet To School Day

Bring Your Pet To School Day

That special time of the school year...

11

To this day, I still reminisce about the special event that took place at my school on September 25, 2015-- "Bring your pet to school day". It's almost as if I traveled back in time to preschool, where I would bring an item to Show and Tell periodically. The only difference was that I was a freshman in high school, and we were using our pets to learn about how animals interact and behave in different environments. Although we were supposed to use our animals to learn about Biology, I took this as an opportunity to show off to my fellow classmates the cool tricks my pet could do. The pet I planned on bringing to school was my baby guinea pig, Brownie. Being the size of a tiny bowl, the only trick Brownie could do was nibble carrots off the palm of my hand. Regardless, I was still determined to teach her some cool tricks to amuse everyone in my class. In order to prep Brownie for the big day, I tried to make her follow me as I held on to a carrot; she wouldn't budge. As I grew more impatient, I realized I was training Brownie in an environment she wasn't used to. Brownie preferred a more comfortable environment, a cozy atmosphere with more places for her to hide in, unlike the unfamiliar basement I was training her in. Once I moved her up to my room, she was comfortably running around like she'd been living there for years. As long as the school had a rug for Brownie to perform her tricks on, I knew she would be fine. But I was wrong. In fact, we weren't even allowed to bring our pets inside the school, but experiment with them in the school's parking lot. As I predicted, Brownie didn't move an inch. Although my whole plan backfired, I found it funny that I unconsciously learned how Brownie behaves in different environments, which was the purpose of the experiment, without meaning to do so! I simply wanted Brownie to learn some cool tricks.