5 Of The Most Relatable Female Characters on Netflix's New Hit Show 'Bridgerton'

Regency Era with real struggles.

28
Eloise and Penelope eating chocolate

Netflix's adaption of Julia Quinn's historical romance novels has been a great success. With no historical dramas since "Enola Holmes" back in the fall, another story taking us back to simpler times is just what we needed! The eight episode season, released on December 25th, 2020, lets viewers follow the high society families in England during the Regency Era looking to find the perfect matches for their daughters when they are of age. From hope to heartache, from deception to intrigue, this show has something for everyone. While set some centuries in the past, the challenges and struggles faced by these characters still hold in today's society. Here are some of the most relatable female characters from the show:

1. Daphne Bridgerton

Like many, Daphne struggles with relationships. As the main heroine in the show, it's her first year out in society looking for a match. She's taught that her only real purpose in life is to get married and bear children, and she struggles in her quest for a husband as she tries to figure out if status and security or love is more important. Once married, her challenges change into figuring out how to overcome deception in her new relationship.

2. Eloise Bridgerton

Eloise faces the challenge of wanting a different future than her family and society expects of her. An intelligent, younger sister to Daphne, she has a strong wit, likes candy, and seeks out mystery (especially trying to figure out who Lady Whistledown is). She aspires to go to school and get a real education instead of being pushed into society to search for a husband.

3. Penelope Featherington

Penelope Featherington is most relatable when dealing with society and being pushed aside. Compared to her sisters and her friends, she is like the little sister and the middle child - ignored and not taken as seriously. At the same time, she is being friendzoned by her crush. Anyone who has felt like a wallflower at some point in their life can relate to Penelope.

4. Marina Thompson

With the Featherington family owing a "favor" to Marina Thompson's father, the simple country girl is pushed into high society. But she has a secret. Her love went off to war and left her in a scandalous position of being pregnant without the father committed in a marriage with her. Like many, she has to figure out what path is best for her future and her child solely on her own, with others judging her every move.

5. Queen Charlotte

The Queen of England - she might seem harsh and cold but that just might be a wall to keep others out. While the king is dying, she might seem like she is indifferent, but she takes his declining state hard. Seeing someone you love become broken is a hard reality many face with sick or dying family members, and it's a reality even a queen must face.

These amazing characters, while based in Regency Era, still hold relatable struggles and aspirations that are still seen in society today. They struggle with health, relationships, and friendships but that is what makes this show so great.