Breakup Advice 101

Breakup Advice 101

Maybe This Is All Going To Be Okay After All

26
Breakup Advice 101
theawkwardmagazine.com

Getting through a breakup can be really tough, especially when all you want to do is lay in bed while eating a gallon of ice cream and crying into your pillow. However, it’s important to know when crying and eating ice cream is okay, and when it’s time to get out of bed and go back into the world. It won’t be easy, but hopefully these few tips will help you overcome your breakup.

1. “Wallowing”

Take time to cry and let your emotions out, or as Lorelai Gilmore from the show “Gilmore Girls” would call it, “wallowing”. "Wallowing" is always an important step after a breakup. Giving yourself time to feel sad and time to heal your heart is essential before you can move on and go back to being your happy self. The key is to know when it’s okay vs. when it's not okay anymore to sit on the couch all day with a pint of Ben and Jerry's while ignoring any phone calls or notifications. Take a day or two to yourself and cry it off, but then make sure to pick yourself back up and go back into the world again. Don’t let a breakup hold you down forever, you will be okay eventually, just maybe not right away.

2. Girls night

After you've given your heart a few days to heal, it's time to trust yourself and be aware of what your mind and body also need to get on the right path towards healing. This might be a well needed girls night in PJs while watching funny movies and eating junk food. Or maybe you and your friends are the athletic type and you’d rather go out and hit the gym and grab your favorite smoothies after. Either way, surrounding yourself with good-hearted people who care about you is the next important part to recovering from a breakup.

3. Finding your comfort food

Maybe smoothies aren’t your thing and maybe your friends are really busy finishing up final exams or on a vacation for two weeks. Don’t stress, they’ll be back soon, but until then, there’s other ways you can get over your breakup rut. Try finding a comfort food that makes you feel better. A lot of girls like chocolate or ice cream after going through a breakup. Personally, my go to breakup meal is a scoop of ice cream on top of some waffles for breakfast. However, you could also try looking up special ingredients for smoothies or other snacks that will give you a mood and energy boost. This way, you’ll be more motivated to get back to being your energetic self. When you’re feeling down, you have to remind yourself to enjoy the little things in life, like a good meal.

4. Keeping a journal

Obviously your friends care about you, but at some point hearing the same sad feelings over and over is going to bring them down, too. Try expressing yourself through a journal or another passion of yours. Maybe writing isn’t your thing, but that’s okay. You can draw, paint, or make collages to express how you’re feeling. If you’re not comfortable with or really into the idea of keeping a journal, try exercising. Whether you’re practicing for an upcoming marathon or meditating and trying some new yoga moves, I guarantee you’ll be able to keep your mind off that ex by putting all of your strength into whatever passions you have.

5. Trying something new

There’s something we’ve all wanted to try but haven’t been able to for whatever reasons that might be holding us back. Go try that new painting class this summer or go scuba diving because you’ve been dreaming about it for so long now. Maybe your ex wasn’t an adventurous person and didn’t like going to the beach or for long hikes with you. That’s even better. Go try something which your ex would have never done with you. It’ll taste like a new bit of freedom which you never imagined before and you’ll be able to finally see a light towards your future and realize that maybe this is all going to be okay after all.